looses connection to mail hosted with gmail

Hi
I use IMAP to connect to my email hosted on google apps. If I leave eM open it eventually looses connection and have to close it and reopen it to download mail again. Mail also tends to take quite some time to come through. Often I receive it on my phone only to get it 30 minutes later via eM

Otherwise love the program.

Hi Ryan, are you using any firewall/antivirus with mail protection software on your computer?
Are you seeing any errors from the application?
Can you make a screenshot of your IMAP settings from Tools > Accounts > Your account > IMAP?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul.

I use standard windows 8 defender and recently installed avg, but the problem has been around for some time now. Even befor the recent update.

No obvious errors. just that rotating icon next to the account name showing it is trying to connect.

Here is a snap shot. have blocked out may mail address not sure how many people see these posts.

Hi again, can you go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on IMAP logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    When the issue occurs go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi

Still experiencing this issue with mail hosted on gmail. Additionally if i receive a pdf and double click to view it often says “cannot download the attachement”, sometimes the attachement just takes forever to download.

I just login to gmail and download it there but a real mission.

Hope we can find a solution soon

Hi Ryan, what version of eM Client are you currently using? Have you submitted the above requested data back in June?
Can you please make a screenshot of any errors you might be seeing and post them here on the forum?

Thank you,
Paul.

I have the identical problem as Ryan so I’ll pick it up for him. I’ve already enabled the IMAP logging and I’ll send the logs as you requested. In looking over past posts, this issue has been voiced many times in the past. Why hasn’t this issue been resolved? 

Hi Ken, thank you for the received IMAP logs, however please do not submit any data before previously discussing the issue with the technical support. From the look at your logs I can see the IDLE connection is being terminated, however no exact information on why this would occur. When the error occurs, please switch to the “Log” tab, copy the content of the log and post it here on the forum, also please make a screenshot of the error that you’ve referenced in your email.

Thank you,
Paul.

I would love to discuss this with technical support but I could not find any way to communicate with anyone with eM Client other than this forum. If you could put me in touch with them that would be great. I don’t quite understand your instructions. Where’s the “log” tab, and what contents do I copy? Here’s one screen shot of an error message just now received.   

Hi Ken, community support is only support you’re entitled to as a free license user, you should discuss the issue with the technical support (in this case…me) here on the community support in order to resolve any kind of issues or questions. As I suggested when the error occurs, switch to the log tab… it is visible on the screenshot you’ve submitted.

The log will contain more information about the issue.

Thank you,
Paul.

Yes I eventually gave up on emclient as it kept loosing connection and had to restart it to download mail. If it wasnt for this id buy it.

I did send all data files as requested back then.

I had to move to thunder bird which is less exciting but at least it doesnt loose connection.

The error log will contain private information. Can this log data be sent to you privately?

Paul,

I sent you the log data you requested by email rather than posting it here as it contains my email address. With this information, I hope you will be able to identify the cause of the disconnect problem and then take steps to fix it. I await your reply.

Hi again Ryan, I’m sorry you were forced to move to another application by this application’s behavior. If you ever give another chance to eM Client and come across any issues or questions, make sure to let us know, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.