Local folders

I’ve just migrated from Outlook 2007 to eM Client and love it, it’s the best email client i’ve ever used.

Just a couple of questions if anyone can help:-

I store an ‘archive’ of my old emails that i want to keep and i have noticed that when i access any one of the multiple folders and sub-folders it doesn’t automatically collapse them when i next access my archive. Outlook used to do this but with eM Client it starts off where you left off with the folder list expanded. Is there any way of fixing this so that it automatically collapses?

Also, how can the backed up files be so small in size when i had a 1Gb pst file? I assume the attachments make up most of the pst file size.

I am a UK user and have no problem with paying £30 for the Pro version. What are the advantages given that i have only 2 gmail accounts?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi William,

I don’t understand your first question about automatically collapsing folders, so I can not help you with that.

eM Client zips/compresses the backup file: that’s why it can be smaller than a PST file.

Advantages of using a paid ‘pro’ version:

* no [invite to eM Client] button

* maybe you get messages asking you to buy eM Client … (I don’t know, I immediately bought eM Client when I discovered it).

* pro support (working with a ticketing system). I’ve never had to use it, though :slight_smile:

* helping eM Client as a company to hire more software engineers / help desk employees, so the company can add more features faster to eM Client, and help more people with questions in a shorter time. Maybe they can hire someone to make a good user manual.

It’s in our own interest that eM Client has as many paying end users as possible. The program ‘eM Client’ is very important to me for my work, so it’s in my own interest that the company ‘eM Client’ is healthy.

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

It’s a little hard to explain regarding the expand / collapse issue so i’ve attached a screenshot. On the lower left hand side you can see my Local Folders which i use to store my ‘ARCHIVE’ of emails i need to keep for future reference. At the moment it is expanded revealing some sub-folders. With Outlook 2007 when i collapsed the list from the root ‘ARCHIVE’ or when i exited the programme it would start collapsed again, however when i access it now it is expanded to the last folder i accessed. This is a pain as i have to collapse them individually every time before closing the programme. Hope this makes more sense.

Whilst on the subject i’m questioning whether i should keep the ARCHIVE as a personal (local) folder as i’m using gmail via IMAP. Maybe i would be better to upload the ARCHIVE folder to imap. I’m not sure if it was stored under IMAP whether it would still backup ok.

Regarding purchasing the programme i shall certainly do so, if nothing else to support the software developers and allow them to make this programme even better.

Hi William,

If I collapse one of my folders under the ‘local’ folder before I close eM Client, that folder is also collapsed when I open eM Client. I believe this is what you would like. I’m using version 6.0.21151.0.

I’m not using IMAP, as I need to have my e-mail too many times working offline. So I also have my e-mails stored under the ‘local’ folder, once I’ve processed those e-mails from my inboxes.

The advantage of storing your processed e-mails under an IMAP folder, is that you still will have your e-mails on the server in case something bad happens with your computer (crash, stolen).

Hi Hans,

Many thanks. That’s exactly it, but what I was hoping for was after i expand my folders to access them, then they would automatically collapse when I restarted the program (if that makes sense) so that it automatically returns to the root folder.

Kind regards, Will

Hi William, unfortunately it’s not possible to enable automatic folder collapsing after application restart. eM Client keeps the settings so you can start where you left off after application restart and keep an organized folder structure.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

No problem, as long as i know.

Many thanks.

Please let us know if you come across any other questions or issues with the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.

Many thanks Paul