Local Folder content was moved to "XXX 2" dat files

When I reopened eM Client this morning, the whole content of my local folder has been wiped (it seemed). Looking closer into it, it appears that em Client has renamed all the local folders files  “XXX 2”, and created a bunch of new ones (blank) to start using.

I cannot access any of the emails I had in my local folders anymore, though I think (hope) they’re still in there somewhere in those “XXX 2” dat files.

Please help  

Close eM Client and run C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\DbRepair.exe. See if that makes any difference.

Sadly this didn’t do it. 

@eM Support - Please suggest a solution to this

Unfortunately if the dat files have been deleted, then any unsynced data is most likely lost. Restoring from your most recent backup will be the only option.

BTW, it it unlikely that you will get support from the company on this forum. For that you need to purchase a Pro License, and then open a support ticket.

Thanks for that. The dat files were not deleted though, just renamed with a 2 appended to them, and a fresh set of dat files created (empty) in their stead.

I do have the old dat files (with the 2 appended), but simply renaming them doesn’t do the trick

Don’t really recommend fooling with files in the database directory, but one thing to consider is that eM Client must be closed if you want to rename any of them. 

Yeah of course - all manipulation was done with the client closed.

I’ve kept backups of all the files intact, I just really need to access some old emails. It’s insane to me that eM would just do that, and in effect renders all that I thought was safe, inaccessible.

I don’t know that eM Client would do that.

Are you sure there is no ransomware on your computer?