List of emails sorted by Newest on Top Issue

I have my List of emails sorted by Newest on Top.

There are times when a new email arrives and is placed at the very top of the list of past emails as it should, but meanwhile I’m not seeing the email(s) because the Em Client program didn’t automatically scroll to the top showing me the newest email(s) on top of the list. Note that when I last used the program, I was scrolled to the very top of the list.

Is there a Setting that I’m missing that ensures that the newest emails are not only defaulted to the top of the past emails, but also to ensure that the newest email is visible without having to manually scroll to the top of the email list?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Louis

I encounter the same issue. Sad that there seems to be no solution.

ARGH! This drives me crazy! I have searched the help section. How do I quickly return to the top of the new emails without scrolling?

It seems that not enough people complaining about this issue to get any help from support. I’ve been scrolling up to read new emails for over 7 Months without resolution! Is it possible that only the 3 of us are actually experiencing this issue or is everyone else just used to scrolling up many times every day? Very disappointing for sure!

1 Like

By default if you select received eg: “newest to oldest” and scroll to the top eM Client will remember that to always start at the top “when you click on that inbox folder again” as in this thread.

New Messages appear at the bottom

https://forum.emclient.com/t/new-messages-appear-at-the-bottom/73338

However If you have scrolled to the eg: middle or bottom of your emails in the Inbox and new mail arrives you would then normally have to manually scroll back to the top of the list to see the new mail as eM Client “remembers where you were last” in the email inbox order. This is useful for alot of users so you come back to the email or message where you were at last in the Inbox without having to remember where you were in the list of emails.

If you want eM Client to automatically go to the top to show the new Messages when they arrive “even though you are not at the top” that would be a “feature request” to have that option in settings.

Hi Cyberzork,

Thank you for your response.

First of all, I completely agree with your logic regarding how it should work, though unfortunately that not what I’m experiencing.

The Inbox is defaulted to “newest to oldest” and there are times where I need to scroll to the top to see the most recent email, although the last time in the Inbox, I was fully scrolled to the top.

Unfortunately for me, I can’t force the issue to occur as it happens infrequently though the issue has remained for 7 Months.

Do you have any suggestions to move forward, other than adding a new feature request?

Thanks.
Louis

The Inbox is defaulted to “newest to oldest” and there are times where I need to scroll to the top to see the most recent email, although the last time in the Inbox, I was fully scrolled to the top.

So are you saying you have scrolled up to the top to see the newest emails but are not seeing them ?

Or are you saying you cannot scroll to the top when new emails arrive ?

In the scenario where I’m in the Inbox and scrolled to the top of the list, then go into another program for a while, then upon return to the Inbox, there are times where I’ve received a new email that doesn’t appear until I manually scroll up just enough to see the new email. This doesn’t happen all the time, though periodically happens without any rhyme or reason that I can determine. So to answer your question, yes I can scroll up, but based on my Setting of “newest to oldest” it should have been automatically for me. Please help!

1 Like

The issue just happened again to me. I was scrolled to the top of the Inbox, I then received a new email which I read from the Inbox of gmail.com, then I went into the Inbox of emclient and noticed that the email wasn’t received yet, so to verify this, I manually scrolled to the Top and the new email was there. I don’t understand why I needed to scroll up to see the new email. Again, this doesn’t happen all the time.

there are times where I’ve received a new email that doesn’t appear until I manually scroll up just enough to see the new email.

Yes that would need a “feature request” as I mentioned as eM Client is still highlighted on the last email in your inbox your were up to by design. So would “need an option in settings” to eg: always force the inbox to the top when eM Client detects new Messages.

Change this thread to “Feature request” and maybe title as “Always force the inbox to the top when eM Client detects new Messages”.

There is a nifty key on your keyboard.

HOME

It takes to back to the top of the list, so that may help.

1 Like

@Gary

There is a nifty key on your keyboard.

Cool i never knew about the Home key for that :sunglasses:

Me either… @Gary must have a PHD in keyboard :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

The HOME key is a nice keyboard function to be familiar with, but a real fix would ensure that the Settings of viewing the most recent emails first, correctly shows the most recent email on top of the email list AND VISIBLE TO THE USER.

Is it possible to make this happen?

Any help in this regards would be greatly appreciated, as I’m not finding any true benefit from manually scrolling up vs Hitting the HOME key to view the most recent email in the Inbox.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Louis

Have you considered an alternative, like the Unread folder.
Any new unread messages will be displayed there, so very easy to find.

But of course if you have already read it in another app, it won’t be in the Unread folder.

I can’t really see what the benefit of freezing the message list would be. If you always only want to display the top of the list, don’t scroll down. And if you do need to scroll down, either scroll up or use the HOME key to get back to the top. :man_shrugging:

It appears that you are misunderstanding the issue at hand. I don’t want to “freeze” any messages/emails. My email box is scrolled to the very top, then sometimes when a new email arrives, I need to manually scroll again to the top to view the email. This shouldn’t happen. When new emails arrive, the program which was already scrolled to the top before the new email arrived should show the most recent email without needing to manually scroll.

That could be a major issue if you are dealing with messages a little lower in the message list, then suddenly you are forced to the top of the list, and subsequently lose your place.

For this reason we have new message notifications, so you will have a popup when new messages arrive. There is also the Unread Favorites folder to make it easy to find all new content across many accounts.

1 Like

I’ve also been bothered a bit by this if I understand you right, but just accepted it. Let’s see if I understand.

1. You have emails sorted newest to oldest
  2. You are at the top of the all Inboxes list looking at the newest email.
  3. You go somewhere else, like trash or junk or a particular mailbox.
  4. You get a new email
  5. You return to the all Inboxes list and don’t see the new email.

That’s happened to me. Is that the issue?

If so, and I’m not sure about this behavior because only after your complaint did I pay attention to the matter and not just accept this peculiarity, it seems to me that emclient does indeed remember everything and return me to exactly where I was. Looking at the top of the list (where it was before the new email), at the newest email as it was when I left. Thus, new stuff doesn’t show because it is above where I was before. However, if I leave the focus on the all mail folder, then the new emails push the list down and display themselves.

So we have an inconsistency between how emails in all inboxes are displayed if you stay in the all Inboxes folder (new emails shove list down) or if you leave (New emails stack on top out of view).

Is this what is happening, or am I rushing to judgment from a very small sample size?

If I receive a new email while viewing emails in different folders within the emclient, upon re-entering the emclient Inbox, the program appears to correctly refresh, and any new email is visible on top of the list of emails. The problem sometimes occurs when I remain in the emclient Inbox which is scrolled to the very top of the email list, and I then go into a different program such as Excel, Internet Browser or Word, then upon going back into the emclient (which remained open in the background), the Inbox appears exactly as I left it, meaning that any new emails received can only be viewed once I scroll to the very top of the email list. Most of the time, upon returning to the emclient Inbox, the program correctly updated to show any new email visible on top of the email list without needing to manually scroll up.

Here’s your revised list:

1. You have emails sorted newest to oldest
  2. You are at the top of the emclient Inbox list looking at the newest email.
  3. You go somewhere else, like Excel or Word.
  4. You get a new email
  5. You return to the emclient Inbox list and don’t see the new email until I scroll up.

I’ll have to look and see exactly where I click to return focus to emclient and what happens and how often. I keep forgetting to pay attention. Now it just happened. I’m here and a new email came in but it showed at the top. So, what makes it show sometimes and not others?