Is there an option to not show inline images by default

Lately I am getting spam mails with embedded images of scarcely dressed women. eM Client shows these images in the preview window and this can be especially annoying and inapropriate at work.
I looked for an option to not have embedded images displayed by default, but this option only seems to exist for external content.
This is a true dealbreaker for me as I don’t want to explain myself to my collegues because of these images showing.

Sounds like you have changed the default Privacy setting after installing eM Client, to either displaying all content automatically, Or to display content from a whitelisted sender Or someone in a contact list.

Go to “Menu / Settings / Mail / Privacy”. (Windows) or “eM Client / Preferences / Mail / Privacy” (Mac) where you can adjust how image content loads.

See the eM Client support page link below on how to adjust email content, Extract quotes below from the following link

Also see about blocking senders via setting up Rules in eM Client at the end of the post below.

https://www.emclient.com/external-content

"Display content from whitelisted senders.

With this option you can block everything but content from senders in your Whitelist - which is a list of senders you can curate by adding trusted contacts into it via the option to ‘always download pictures from this sender‘ in the information bar under the message header. Using the ‘Manage Whitelist…’ button you can view and remove any contacts if you change your mind".

"Display content from people in contact list.

This option will use all addresses in your contact list as an automatic Whitelist. This can be useful when you curate your contacts and keep only trusted senders in them, but some email providers with synchronized address books can add some emails to your list automatically when you respond to them, so keep this in mind before using this option or check to see if this feature is present and desirable for your purposes".

You can also set in eM Client Privacy to allow all unsafe content to then allways allow images.

“Display unsafe content in all messages”.

“This option will automatically download and show all external content, no matter who it is from or if it contains any email tracking elements. It is the least secure option”.

Apart from setting image content settings in Privacy settings, you can also look at setting up a eg: Rule to block specific senders who are displaying image content you don’t want via “Menu / Rules”.

You can block via the eg: sender’s email address, senders domain, and block via content in header etc.

See eM Client Rules Documentation help online

Lastly “if you do want a sender but don’t want to see their email content preview all the time”, then you could also “disable the preview window” so you have to “dblclick the email subject to open / view them”

You can disable the preview pane completely by going to “Menu / View / Layout / Message Panel Off”.

Hi Cyberzork,
As the link also suggests, it only applies to external content. The spam mails i am getting have the image embedded in the message themselves. It appears that there is no option do disable the showing of these images.
Next blocking the sender/domain does not work with spam, as the domain and sender is always different.
So I went with the last option and disabled the review pane.
But what I would really like is the ability to not automatically show content when it is embedded in the mail.

blocking the sender/domain does not work with spam, as the domain and sender is always different

If the sender domain is always changing you can then block via the header info using a custom rule.

You can right click on the body of the email and you will see an option to view the header to look for those domain words / addresses in there to then create a rule from that.

This is helpful if eg: some of the domain name keeps changing where it’s slightly different each time.

See @Gary post extract example below from the following thread on how to create a custom rule.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/how-to-block-all-mails-which-came-from-icu-e-g-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-icu-extensions/48759/2

You can create a Rule to do this.

Go to Menu > Rules (Pc) or Menu > Tools > Rules (Mac), and select New Rule.

Choose Apply Custom Rule on messages I receive.

Select the with words found in the header option.

Click on the words link and type in: From: .icu

Note the colon and period, so type it exactly as in bold above.

Click on Add and then click Ok

Then click Move to folder and Select your account junk folder

Click on Finish.

Now any email from the .icu domain will go to the Junk Email folder

Also see this example Rule below by @sunriseal on how to block by Name words found in the header.

If I understand you correctly, try this rule: