is eM using different Korean language encoding scheme for the email's main text and other fields (subject, To address, search box, etc.)?

Is eM using different Korean language encoding scheme for the email’s main text and other fields (subject, To address, search box, etc.)?

(1) When I’m typing something into the main text part of a new email, I can type Korean fine.
 ==> meaning that, whatever I type shows up on the screen immediately as I type without errors

(2) However, when I type Korean into the “subject” field or any address fields (to, cc, bcc), it does not type immediately, and often results in typing errors. This happens also when I use search; whatever I type into the search field also does not type immediately, and often results in typing errors.

It feels like you might be using different encoding schemes, and possibly a very old scheme for the second case.  I’m saying this because (for the second case) I see a small temporary square box that tries to compose a Korean syllable while typing, and I used to see this on Windows 95 or earlier.

Said differently, what encoding schemes are you using? CP949/MS949? EUC-KR? UTF-8? or something else?

I used to use Outlook 2013, but occasional crashes made me switch to eM. Compared to Outlook 2013, I like the layout, settings, fast search, and no crashing of eM. I can live without the conversation/threading feature that lacks in eM (although I’d love to have it). However, frequent typing/searching errors is somewhat annoying… and this is pushing me to search for another email client. Please help.

Thanks!

Hello Jeongyeup,
all encoding should be UTF-8, I believe, but I’ll have a look into it. Could you perhaps provide a screenshot of the typing errors?

Regards,
Olivia

Okay, let’s me list the facts first;

1. I’m trying to use Korean (as well as English)
  2. My default keyboard language in Windows 7 is Korean, which supports easy transition between Korean and English
  3. Same peculiarity (inconvenience, that I’ll describe below) happens for ‘searching’ as well as when entering ‘To/CC address’ or ‘subject’ field of an email.
  4. This problem does not happen when I’m typing something into the main text part of a new email. I can type Korean fine meaning that, whatever I type shows up on the screen immediately as I type without errors
  5. This problem does not happen for Outlook 2013 or gmail, or any other recent programs that I use.

Now the problem…
– When I type Korean into the “subject” field or any address fields (to, cc, bcc) or the searching box, it does not type immediately, and often results in typing errors.
– Whatever I type, first show up in a small black box at the top-left corner of the screen (see first screen shot, labelled as 2))
– If I type in a nice pace (although yet to figure out firm definition of ‘nice’), it eventually goes into the correct place correctly.

• However if I type at a not so ‘nice’ pace, often enough to be frustrated, my Korean typing automatically converts into English in the middle of typing… (see second screenshot)
    – The problem is more severe when I’m waiting for auto-completion of addresses from my address book. Because the typing is not ‘as I type’, the search is not ‘as I type’, and often fails.

I know this will be very hard for you to understand if you don’t use Korean language. But this is a real problem for sure, and I have not seen this kind of behavior since Windows 3.1 or maybe Windows 95. And I believe Korean is still easier that Japanese or Chinese language to get it right (I might be wrong). So, I’m hoping that you can hire an engineer who knows Korean to fix this… although I guess it will take some time…