INBOX MESSAGES SUDDENLY GONE

I shut down my computer normally last night. This afternoon I turned it on, opened eM Client, only to discover that ALL the messages in my Inbox were gone! The only message I see is this: “There are no messages to show in this view.”

What?! Where have they gone?! I certainly did not delete them!

If this is going to happen with eM Client, I need to find another  email client…and quick.

If you log in to your email account using the web interface for your provider, are the messages still there?

If they are, go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and remove the account from eM Client. Then add it again and it should resync with the server.

Gary, you’re great! Thanks so much for your help.

You say that I should log into my email account using the web interface for my provider.

How do I do that?

Well, if you have a Gmail account, open your web browser and go to https://mail.google.com. You will usually find the mail portal on your email provider’s web page.

Hi, Gary!  Oh, okay - I see what you mean. Well, my new ISP is Spectrum. So I went to their web site to check my email, and the only messages in my Inbox are those that have come through yesterday and today. The messages that seemingly deleted themselves are not there. Boy, this creates all kind of problems for me. I just cannot think what happened!

If you search this forum, you will also find many issues related to that provider, so I would say your problem is most likely with Spectrum. Best would be to contact them and ask what happened to your messages.

Thanks, Gary. You really have been most helpful, and I appreciate it. I certainly will get in touch with Spectrum to let them know that I’m not very happy. But I would have thought that, once my email messages were downloaded to eM Client they’d be safe, even if Spectrum/Charter “deep-sixed” them.

That all depends on whether your account is setup as IMAP or POP3.

With IMAP, all the email client does is keep a cached copy of what is on the server, so whatever changes on the server is then reflected in the client. With POP3, the messages are stored on the computer, so whatever changes on the server is not reflected in the client.

If you go to Menu > Tools > Accounts, you will see your Spectrum account will have either a POP3 or IMAP tab.  That might tell us more about what happened.

Hello again, Gary!

First, I’ve done as you suggested: Menu > Tools > Accounts, and I have both an IMAP and a SMTP tab. Under the IMAP tab, I see the following settings:

Host: mobile.charter.net
Port: 993

Under the SMTP tab I have:

Host: mobile.charter.net
Port: 587

Second, I have suffered the same problem again with eM Client. When I went to bed last night, I left my computer on, and it went to sleep after 30 minutes. This morning, when I woke it up and looked at my eM Client email, all I saw was “There are no messages to show in this view.” So, once again I’ve lost my Inbox emails, a few of which were really important.

I really cannot handle this any longer. For many years I’ve used Microsoft Live Mail for my email, but decided to go with eM Client after Microsoft no longer offered any support for Live Mail. But I think I’m going to go back to Live Mail - in all the time I’ve used this program, I have never had a problem.

Do you perhaps have any further words of wisdom or advice to offer about this problem I’ve been having with eM Client? Thanks so much for all the help you’ve given me thus far - it is much appreciated.

Unfortunately eM Client is not really compatible with Charter servers because they use an unusual form of IMAP.

Thank you, Gary! You’ve been great!

I was just wondering if eM Client didn’t perhaps automatically archive my Inbox emails somewhere?

The eM Client Automatic Archiving feature will move the messages to a Local Folders Archive folder, but you will need to set up the scope in Menu > Tools > Settings > Mail > Automatic Archiving first. As far as I know it will not do anything if you did not configure it. If Local Folders are not visible, you can enable them in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Show Local Folders.