Importing from The Bat!

I have found exactly this question asked 11 months ago without it getting an answer. I want to import all my emails from The Bat!. However, I cannot import the folder structure and all emails from all folders and accounts seem to go into ONE folder. This is a show-stopper. I must be able to import my folder structure. Can anybody provide an answer?

1 Like

Did you try Menu > File > Import?

Yes, that is how I know how it behaves as per my OP!

1 Like

Here’s my answer to the question.  Former user of The Bat here.  I migrated to eM Client from The Bat about 6 months ago, successfully moving nearly 30,000 emails into folders I created.  Note that all my emails are handled via POP3 and SMTP.  So some of what I write below may not apply if you are using IMAP, etc. 

I didn’t use eMC’s “Import From The Bat!” option, but rather “Import Email (.eml)”, which seemed much more flexible and confidence-inspiring.

First, I cleaned up my Bat emails and consolidated everything into folders within The Bat, representing groupings of email I wanted to establish and maintain in eMC.

Second, in eMC I set up my 10 email addresses as separate POP3/SMTP accounts – each address ends up with its own account folder and subfolder structure.  I enabled eMC General/general settings to Show Smart Folders, Show Local Folders, and Show on Startup: Global Inbox.  I then organized the eMC mail view to display Smart Folders, then Account Folders, then Local Folders. 

Within the eMC top-level Local folder, I created and named mail-holding folders as were useful to me.  None of those custom/new local folders had real inboxes, of course.  For Bat emails I wanted to display virtually in my eMC Global Inbox, I planned to place those directly in Local Folders/More/Inbox.  (That works.)

Third, I exported my cleaned-up Bat emails as EML files which I saved into new folders on my PC – not directly into eMC, but just into ordinary PC folders.  So now I’ve got all the 30,000 emails that I plan to move grouped and stored in 9 PC folders, with each of the emails in EML format.  I think I had to tell The Bat to export each email to include any attachment(s) within its associated exported EML file.

Fourth, I then imported (using eMC) each of the 9 folders’ contents from the PC – one folder at a time – each into its target local subfolder in eMC.  It took a while… :-)  When done, I could see and open all of my imported emails in their respective local eMC folders.  Well, I’ve only opened a couple hundred so far, but you know what I mean.  And the attachments are where they should be.

That’s pretty much it.  All went smoothly, partly because I was organized so that each collection of Bat emails had (1) its own named folder in The Bat, (2) a PC target folder with a corresponding name (containing exported EML files), and (3) a correspondingly-named local target folder in eMC.  As near as I can tell, The Bat exported all emails to EML flawlessly, and eMC imported them likewise.

I like the interface of emClient *much* better than The Bat.  However, the mail handling rules in eMC are extremely rudimentary compared to what Bat allowed.  I’ve had to completely re-think how to implement rules in eMC – they work fine for what they do. 

As for spam… well let’s just say the eMC spam features are negligible by comparison to The Bat.  I’ve had to enable SpamAssassin on the host server, and do almost all Spam catching that way.

The Bat had pretty much stopped working for me after Win10 v.1803 came along, and their support group was unable to effect a solution while I was out of commission for two weeks.  So I switched to eMC, and I’m happy with the change so far.

Mark

1 Like

Very detailed solution. Thanks Mark.

Some comments:

eM Client has no spam detection capability, but there are two features that it does have to help with this. Blacklisting allows you to manually specify email addresses or domains that you do not want to receive from, and the Spam filter Rule can act on messages flagged as spam by your email provider.

Rules in eM Client can be quite complex and useful. If there is something you need help with in this regard, you can ask. I am a HUGE fan of Rules.

Thanks, Gary.  I like to provide details to give an idea of the actual process steps.

And yes, I can see how clever use of the somewhat limited instruction set (for creating rules) may be effective.  Next time I get stuck on a new rule, I’ll post to this forum to get ideas from everyone.

Thanks mark for your most comprehensive answer. That prolonged process makes my issues with The Bat! fade into insignificance. I have only had one duff answer from The Bat!'s tech support and a more sensible answer came from the usual tech support dude.

1 Like

Is it not possible to export a complete folder tree with eml contents from The Bat!? If you can, then eM Client can import the folder tree of eml files and maintain the structure.

Or if that is not possible and the email account was setup as POP3 like Mark has, so not synced with a server, then you can setup another email account as IMAP in The Bat! and move your folder tree to the IMAP account. When you setup the same account in eM Client, it will then sync the folder tree and contents.