Importing a backup but not a backup

I recently had a harddrive failure on my PC and am trying to import the local folder files back to the eM Client folder.
I hadn’t run a proper backup that results in the zip file but I do have a backup of my User profile data that contains the DAT files.
I’ve tried just copying the files back to the same spot as they would be in the Local Files but I get an error when I restart eM Client saying the data version doesn’t match the current version of eM Client. It says update is required, which I click run, and then it just closes.
Have I missed a step along the way?
Using Windows 7.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You can’t insert individual database files from one location to another. In most cases that will not work and the complete database will then be useless.

With eM Client closed, delete the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder, then copy the COMPLETE C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder from your backup to the same location on your hard disk.

Restart eM Client.

Going forward, if you store data in local folders, consider using eM Client’s automatic backup to regularly make safe copies of the data.