Important tag on mail

Hi, I’ve just updated to version 9.0.1708 (2cfb4a5) and it looks great.
However, every old and new email is being tagged with the “Important” tag.

This may help, as posted by @cyberzork earlier this year…

" The next thing you can do in eM Client is turn off the “important” tag in your account settings by going to Menu > Accounts > (select your gmail account) > IMAP tab > Tags > Show Important Tag > Never"

2 Likes

Thank you for having an answer!

V 9 is a series of frustrating “improvements” over V 8.

Excellent workaround thank you.
However it is a bug given the emails in Gmail are not flagged as “important”

However it is a bug given the emails in Gmail are not flagged as “important

It’s not a bug, Gmail account inbox emails show the Important tag when adding in mail clients such as eM Client and others. This has been the case for years with a Google account. You may not see them online but they are there when you sync mail.

“Gmail assigns the ‘Important’ label to all messages synchronized through IMAP”.

So the options are to “not show” the Important tag in eM Client IMAP account settings or you have to manually create a filter in Gmail online not to show them. But much easier in eM Client.

Also as @Michal_Burger wrote recently in the below thread, the next update will also give Gmail users the ability in setting to show the Important tag “as an icon” if you do want to see it, like in Gmail online and not the full important text which will be a good option as well.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/remove-tag-from-subject-line-em-9/81281/5

Based on the user’s feedback we decided to make some improvements to the next update.

We’ll allow to completely disable (or show just icons) displaying tags in the single line layout as well (via a setting).

We’ll display GMail important tag in a way GMail displays it in its web mail (just an icon, not the full Important text)

I hope this will resolve this issue, it is going to be there soon. We listen to you!

1 Like

What an excellent response. Thank you very much… very informative

Thanks, I just went to gmail and turned it off.

Thanks for the answer on this!!

The new Gmail Important Tag (Icon) in the latest eM Client 9.1.2053 for Windows and Mac looks great now and so much better :slight_smile: . Well done to the team !

If you had it disabled previously in accounts “due to the old big wide Important Tag” and want to now turn it back on, go to “Menu / Accounts” and click on your Gmail account on the left and then click the “IMAP” tab at the top and “Re-Enable” to “Always show important tags” as per below screenshot.

You can d/l the new version of you want to try it from the eM Client version history page . If you do install it, remember to backup first via “Menu / Backup” incase you have any problems and need to restore. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”.

There is at least one storage folder in which the word IMPORTANT, highlit in yellow, precedes most Subject lines. HOW can I prevent that from happening ?

I take it that the answer is that of Sunriseal. I already have ‘never’ set as advised, but that does not prevent the yellow highlit IMPORTANT preceding the subject lines of most received email.

I’m repeating my post because the offered solution is NOT effective - surely there must be a solution that actually works ! There are storage folders in which the word IMPORTANT, highlit in yellow, precedes most Subject lines. The offered solution has worked for a yellow icon, but does NOT work for the WORD ‘important’.

There are storage folders in which the word IMPORTANT, highlit in yellow, precedes most Subject lines. The offered solution has worked for a yellow icon, but does NOT work for the WORD ‘important’.

Can you do a screenshot as an example. Blank out anything personal.

important
tag

You have not shown what folder the messages are in, but I don’t believe that they are still in a Gmail account IMAP folders.

That setting only applies to that account’s IMAP folders. And it only hides the tag, it doesn’t remove it. If you move the message to another account or to Local Folders, the tag will be displayed there.

That particular example is for \Local folders\Ebay
folder
Ebay

Yes, as I said, that folder is not covered by that setting, which is for the Gmail account folders only.

1 Like

Your reply is no help to me; I have sent you a screenshot of the tags in \local folders\ebay. Are you telling me that the word ‘important’ can NOT be removed from the subject line ?
In your archive the following appears : " Remove Tag from Subject line -em 9
May '22 - Hi! I had all the email marked as “Important” (I use gmail), I solved on Gmail marking “not show on imap” into the setting tab.
That gives me hope, but I can not find the option referred to.
A ‘sidebar’ comment to THIS post (which has become invisible) included “So the options are to “not show” the Important tag in eM Client IMAP account settings or you have to manually create a filter in Gmail online not to show them. But much easier in eM Client.”
MUCH EASIER IN EMCLIENT - but HOW ? the methods I’ve been told are NOT effective !

The setting we provide to hide the tag is for Gmail account folders only.

These emails are not in the Gmail account folder.

This setting no longer applies.

You will need to manually remove the tags.

Can you give me a method to ‘manually remove the tags’ ?