[IMAP] Connection to Gmail failed.

Hello. I keep getting a problem with Gmail and IMAP: Connecting to [username]@gmail.com failed. It says it could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings, but i can’t seem to figure out what is wrong. Can you help? Thanks in advance.

Hi, regardless this error you’re seeing, is your account working properly? Can you receive and send email without any issues?
What version of eM Client are you using?

Thank you,
Paul.

I am using the latest Windows version, that is, 6. On Windows 8.1. And yes, I can send and receive mails properly. There is a red exclamation mark at my gmail account name, so it seems like it’s a sync issue. Right now I am not sure if I have fixed it myself by setting sync to every minute instead of every tenth, but it certainly seems to help.

If I may jump in, I’m also having issues with connection. I had to enter my activation license (free user) and ever since the client will freeze, not send or receive emails. Yet if I go to gmail the emails from there are working fine.I’m not sure what to do next. I need this program for graduate school papers and communications.

Hi Anders, can you please tell me the exact version number from Help > About? Thank you…

Christopher, by freeze do you mean the application stops receiving any input (thus you’re unable to switch between windows etc.)?
If so, can you please download this tool (http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe), and run it while the application is frozen? It will generate an output file, can you send me that file to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic (URL).

Thank you,
Paul.

It doesn’t freeze up in the sense of windows not opening or closing. It simply won’t sync anymore with my gmail account. Ever since the license activation yesterday morning, I’ve not received any emails through the client. ***** Okay, So I went to try a to reset the account password and then it froze up inn the other sense! I just ran the file and emailed you the log. 

Hi Paul,

The version is 6.0.20310.0

Kind regards,
Anders

Christopher did the application unfreeze eventually?

Anders, the error you’re seeing is just a minor connectivity issue, the connection between you and the server times out before another connection is supposed to be established, thus the application shows this error, it’s nothing to worry about. You can avoid seeing this error by unchecking the option “Show window when error occurs” in Tools > Settings > General.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Thank you, Paul! It seems kind of odd for a program to display minor things like this by default in a separate window if it is nothing to worry about. Anyway, good to hear that i shouldn’t be worried. I love the program, and i don’t see anything that comes near it. The only downside is this error and red exclamation mark thingy that makes one feel that it doesn’t run like it should, and the fact that there’s no conversation view (which i am sure you know is a thing users are craving for). Thanks for great and trouble free support!

Kind regards,
Anders

No problem, we’re of course working on both of those things, even conversation view :slight_smile: And hopefully improvements for minor issues like this are on it’s way too!

Glad you like the application, hopefully it’ll stay that way…

Thank you,
Paul.

I bet it will. Good to hear that you’re working on both things, that way an amazing application will only get better. Good day.

Best regards,
Anders

It remained frozen until I used task manager to manually end the task. The moment the app launches it shows “connecting” in the bottom left and the spinning circle icon shows next to the gmail account name. Yet, it won’t progress, won’t sync new emails, and won’t send any emails.

Hi all, we’re currently working on a fix for a Gmail connectivity issue, that might be directly connected to the issue you’re all having. Please be patient, we understand this is a big issue, and hopefully a fix will be released in the next release of eM client.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

Any word on this fix?  I am having the same issue now.   (Problem logged with title: Issues accessing GMail and other account with new client (V6.0.20480.0) )

I am having the same issue- error messages and no connection to the gmail outgoing server.

Hi, can you please make a screenshot of the error you’re seeing on the new version of eM Client?

Thank you,
Paul.