Identities

Hi,

It would be great if there was the possibility to create identities in eM Client just like Outlook Express had.

Since Outlook Express stopped working in Windows 7 / 8 I use Dreammail, it’s a great email client but has no support and updates anymore.

Dreammail also can handle identities, see login below.

We have more email accounts in the house and using identities and an identitiy login, every account can have it’s own identitiy not visible to other users, his own addressbook etc.

Now all emailaddresses from the addressbook and emails are listed together visible to all accounts.

And each account can be password protected.

Thunderbird has a similar way to handle this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/using-multiple-profiles

But the identities cannot be password protected.

As far as I can find out eM Client would be the only email client than that has that function at the moment when this  is added.

I noticed that there are  many people who are looking for an email client with that function since Outlook Express disappeared and Microsoft refuses to bring it back in the present email clients.

Google for email client + identities.

Jaap.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion, we’re considering adding the feature into future releases.
Currently you could switch between different eM Client databases by selecting a new folder under Tools > Settings > Storage.

Or by having different user profile on your computers for each user to access their own local eM database.

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Do you mean I can make a different separate database for each account ?

Jaap.

Hi again, yes this would be possible using the “storage” option in eM Client, however it was not designed to manage user profiles on a single system profile but rather to navigate to a single database folder.

However changing the directory from “…/eM Client” to e.g. “…/eM Client 2”, will create a separate database folder after application re-launch and allow you to add new accounts. Changing the directory back to the Original will load the original content after another application restart.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I did that, now it’s possible to switch between two accounts as you said.

Each account has it’s own eM Client now. But the way to switch between those two accounts is not very nice to do of course.

Should not be such a big problem to built in a way to launch eM Client from one of the two databases ?

I remember when I add a new account in DreamMail it’s adding a new directory for the database automaticly. After done that I’ll have the possibility to choose an account / identity to open DreamMail.

Thanks for thinking about this, as I said these separate identities are very important for me ( not only me ) when it’s included I will use eM Client for sure !

Jaap.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion, we’re currently considering adding the feature into future releases, however no decision has been set yet.

Thank you,
Paul

Hy Paul,

Happy New Year !

OK, I’ll wait for that. Hope it will be soon.

Jaap.

If you need a beta tester let me know …

Jaap.

Hi Jaap,

I think it’s better to use multiple Windows User Accounts in your case.

I can imagine that you also have some other programs in which you would like to use ‘user profiles’ … that can probably also be solved by using ‘Windows User Accounts’.

Hi, if you’d like to become one of our beta testers, please send me an email ([email protected]) with your contact information (i.e. email address) and I can add you to our beta tester list, however note that currently we’re not beta testing the upcoming release yet and that the feature requested may not be included eventually.

Thank you,
Paul

I second this idea. I can use the “switch folder” thing for now, but I have a bunch of email accounts (some business-related, some not) that all require access to the data under my one Windows account, so the use of different accounts will not work, and the “switch folder” workaround seems a little clunky.

Just found emClient and am very excited. Using it on a trial basis now. It looks good :smiley:

Ok, I just realized that I can have multiple copies of settings.xml pointing to different locations and I can use batch files to swap them around without having to go to Tools > Settings. This is still a clunky workaround and I’d like an official way to choose a database with a few mouse clicks. The ability to specify a database on the command line would also be great.