iCloud mail suddenly stopped working

Hi guys,

So, I’ve been using an iCloud mail address like forever and suddenly it started giving me problems.

Since I have a boatload of filters set up in Postbox that I haven’t gotten around to port over to emClient yet, I’m currently running both clients at the same time. All accounts always synced fine. Until last Wednesday. Suddenly, my iCloud account would throw an error, it seemed like it bitched about the password. Alright, since iCloud operates with app-specific passwords, I generated a new one and put it into emClient. Now I don’t receive any more complaints in general, but that account refuses to sync up with the server.

Apparently, emClient wasn’t able to establish a connection. Funnily enough, Postbox has been chugging along just fine with the same old password and the same old settings.

When I run a diagnosis, SMTP is ok, but IMAP fails, as does a repair (“Server not responding”).
I haven’t changed anything about my network, haven’t installed any new software (e.g. AV), nada. Literally the only thing that changed since last Tuesday is the liquid in my coffee mug.

I’m running emClient version 9.2.1222 (ca10485) on Windows 10 64bit 22H2.

Would be great if anybody could chime in, I’d really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Ragnir

As you advised to have the correct password and the diag’s says “Server not responding” then suggest to try removing and re-adding your iCloud account and see if that fixes it.

Note:- Before removing your account incase of any problems, backup eM Client via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”.

Failing that go to “Menu / Operations / Log” tab and see if you can see any obvious errors and paste them in this thread.

Lastly if you have any Optional Firewalls / Security programs, Optional Antivirus programs or VPN’s etc installed, try temporarily disabling those to test in case any of those are interfering.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :grinning:

As I mentioned, I’m not using any additional software other than the Windows firewall and deactivating it didn’t help, either. Again, Postbox uses the very same settings on the same machine and has no problems communicating with Apple’s servers.

Maybe I should post the relevant log before I go ahead and nuke the entire account:

23:16:50 [redacted]@me.com [IMAP] MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
          ---> System.IO.IOException: No server response within 30 second timeout.
            at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.ConnectAsync(Func`2 getStream, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionAsync(Folder mailFolder, Boolean noSelect)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionContext.CreateContextAsync(ImapAccount account)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.ListFoldersAsync(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.GetFolderList(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<EnqueueGetFolderList>b__0(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<.ctor>b__0(WorkerStatus ws, CancellationToken ct)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.ExecuteInternalSync(WorkerStatus status)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
            at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
         --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
            at MailClient.Storage.Synchronization.FolderSynchronizerExtensions.SynchronizeSubfoldersAsync(IFolderSynchronizer synchronizer, Folder folder, SynchronizationPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapAccount.SynchronizeIntAsync(Boolean forced)
            at MailClient.Protocols.Common.SynchronizableMailAccount.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<SynchronizeAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
           IMAP_SERVER_TYPE = iCloud
           EnqueuedStackTrace =
                at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.EnqueueGetFolderList(Folder homeFolder, Action`1 completed, Boolean prioritize)
                at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.GoOnlinePre()
                at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.GoOnlinePre()
                at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapAccount.GoOnlineInt()
                at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState(Boolean online, OfflineReason offlineReason)
                at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.GoOnline()
                at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline[T](Func`1 actionIfOnline, Func`1 actionIfOffline)
                at MailClient.Protocols.Common.SynchronizableMailAccount.Synchronize(SynchronizationPriority priority)
                at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.Receive()
                at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.ReceiveAllInternal(Boolean checkIncludeInGlobalOperations)
                at MailClient.Accounts.DesktopAccountManager.timerSendAndReceive_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
                at Interop.User32.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.Interop.Mso.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(UIntPtr dwComponentID, msoloop uReason, Void* pvLoopData)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
                at MailClient.Program.<>c.<Main>b__185_3()
                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
                at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
                at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
                at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
                at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
                at MailClient.Common.UI.Forms.BaseForm.WndProc(Message& m)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
                at Xilium.CefGlue.Interop.libcef.run_message_loop()
                at MailClient.Program.Main(String[] args)
           GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True