I cannot send emails any more

Thanks! I’ll give this a try at leisure over the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Gary, hello again!

I’m pleased to say that you method of using the settings from my laptop has worked – very clever, and very many thanks! There must indeed have been something wrong with the settings on the version that was on my PC.

I have re-imported all my contacts successfully now. The downside is that I haven’t made a good job of importing my backed up emails – I have lost the filing structure that belonged to the old version and the emails are either missing or in a right muddle! :frowning: Any advice on that please?

You might also be able to help with this detail – my contacts list looks like this (below) at present, wasting a lot of screen space between the lines:

Any thoughts on how to adjust it so’s I don’t get all that ‘spaced out’ look?

Thankyou again for your much-valued help!

The list spacing is configured in your settings. I think in the People view of your screenshot the list is a multiline, but you will need to test to see which it is. This will also affect the message list, so you will need to find the best fit.

When you exported your emails, if you had selected more than one folder, it should have kept the folder structure. Then when you imported them again, the folder structure should have been maintained. I take it that is not what happened?

Thanks again Gary - invaluable!
That has fixed the spacing issue nicely.
The loss of all those old emails is probably no great loss really - It’s my birthday tomorrow, so I’ll call it a fresh start :slight_smile:

I assume these are messages saved in Local Folders.

If you have a recent backup from eM Client on your PC, there is a way to get them back.

1. Make a backup of eM Client using Menu > Backup, so you have a working copy to come back to.

2. Restore the backup with the missing messages using Menu > File > Restore.

3. Export the messages using Menu > File > Export > Export emails to eml.

4. Restore the backup you made in step 1.

5. Import the messages you exported in step 3 using Menu > File > Import > Email eml.

1 Like

Thanks Gary - that makes sense, but I don’t think I’ve got a decent, recent backup to use. I think maybe a fresh start really won’t do any harm. :slight_smile:
Once again, thanks for your valued help!

No problem.

Best wishes for your next trip around the sun. Hope it filled with better days than the past one. :wink:

Still sorting out after my little ‘adventure’ with eM Client Gary. Can you help me to change this - as you see I can’t really see what’s what in the first column - how do I make it wider, to show a bit more of the names?
Address list

The column width for the names should auto-adjust to fit the longest name displayed.

It does in the latest release, so if you are not using that, download and install it from the Release History.

Thanks Gary - just done that. Now using v 8.1.965 but no improvement…?

To check if it has something to do with your settings, close eM Client and open Windows Explorer.

Go to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ and rename settings.dat to settings.bak1. You may have to enable hidden items in Windows Explorer to get there.

Restart eM Client.

Is there any difference in the way the name column is displayed?

If not, close eM Client and back in Windows Explorer delete the new settings.dat file. Rename settings.bak1 to settings.dat and then restart eM Client. You will be back to your original settings.

No - no difference there - back to original settings now. The problem only seems to be with ‘Distribution Lists’ - the other (individual) contacts are perfectly readable. (Or is the problem that there is a digit in the name, as in “U3A”?)

1 Like

Ah, I am now able to reproduce it.

It doesn’t appear to matter what the distribution list is named, but it has to do with the number of members in the list. If they cannot all be displayed in the second column, then the first column is reduced in width to try and compensate. But all you end up with is two columns that are both truncated.

If you have a Pro License you could open a support ticket with eM Client and report it as a bug. They may have done it intentionally though, but it does not look good. Rather leave the first column to auto-adjust (within reason) and truncate the second column.

No, I don’t have a Pro license, so I guess I’ll just live with it - agree it would be better if the l/h column was left un-truncated.

Thanks again for your patient help!

Gary, hello again - I’m still trying to reorganise my eM Client after that upset from the borrowed router. I now have a situation where the emails that I send (they do get sent as far as I know) seem to disappear. Normally they would come up in the ‘sent’ folder, but that’s not happening now. What have I done to cause this…?
Thanks, as always

If you login to the web interface for the email account you used to send the message, do they appear in the Sent folder you see in the web browser?

If they don’t appear there either, check you have this setting ticked:

Box was ticked as per your screenshot. My sent messages don’t appear in my webmail, but I don’t think they ever did: Just to prove the point:

I have been trying to simplify my storage folder ‘tree’ maybe something has gone wrong there?

So then it is not an issue with eM Client not syncing with the server; the messages just aren’t there.

Maybe you deleted them, maybe the server deleted them. Anyway, you have the instructions above how to retrieve them from a backup if you want them back. One thing you need to do, because you are using IMAP, is to disconnect from the Internet. The instructions above were for Local Folders, but for IMAP do this:

1. Make a backup of eM Client using Menu > Backup, so you have a working copy to come back to.

2. Disconnect from the Internet.

3. Restore the backup with the missing messages using Menu > File > Restore.

4. Export the messages using Menu > File > Export > Export emails to eml.

5. Restore the backup you made in step 1.

6. Reconnect to the Internet.

7. Import the messages you exported in step 4 using Menu > File > Import > Email eml.

Thanks Gary.
I think it’s all fixed now (I hope so anyway). Once again thankyou for your patience and help.
Have a great Christmas, and an even better 2021! :slight_smile: