I am giving up on eM Client - can no longer connect to my gmail account

After changing my gmail account password on google mail, eM Client cannot reconnect to Google server : looking for a password. There is nowhere to write a password in the account setup.
I spent hours reading FAQ and forums and did not find a solution that works. 2 step authentication is off. Google has disable the access to less secure connections - if that’s an issue, that option is not available anymore…
I created a new gmail account and tried to install this new account on eM Client and I get the same password search loop. If I cannot easily connect to my Gmail accounts, what good is my eM Client Pro licence good for ?

After changing my gmail account password on google mail, eM Client cannot reconnect to Google server : looking for a password.

Google for sometime since around March 2022 have been using OAuth tokens in mail clients instead of passwords. So if you have had a Gmail IMAP account, go to “Menu / Accounts” and “remove and re-add” your Gmail account via the “automatic email wizard”. At the end of the wizard your browser will open for you to then click “allow” to allow eM Client access to your Google account. So no password required in eM Client.

See the following eM Client Google Workspace setup.

Email Client for Gmail and Google Apps | eM Client

If you had a Gmail POP account see the following eM Client documentation for changing to IMAP due to Google changes in the last year.

Google ‘less secure apps’ access and what it means for eM Client | eM Client

Note:- Before removing your Gmail / Google account in eM Client, back via “Menu / Backup” incase of any problems. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”.

I have a similar problem. The soultions you suggested don’t work at all. When trying to setup my gmail-account or google calendar account, emclient opens the browser where I have to log into my google account. Google ask for accepting access by emClient. Clicking yes the browser asks fpr permission to access emClient. Clicking Yes again leads to nothing. EMClient doesn’t react and the Window from the account setup in emClient is still open. So I am absolutely unable to reinstall my google account in emClient.

@ValGerb

Google ask for accepting access by emClient. Clicking yes the browser asks for permission to access emClient. Clicking Yes again leads to nothing.

If you click Allow on the Google pop-up in eM Client and nothing happens or it hangs, then that’s usually is a “browser issue” or “something running interfering with the browser”.

So close your browser and close eM Client and set a different browser as the default. Also clear the Temp files in the browser, as might also be a browser cache problem too. Usually setting a different browser fixes that. Then restart your computer and run the wizard again.

If clicking allow in the different browser pop-up authentication window still hangs and won’t return to eM Client, then could be you have some other background program installed locally running / interfering with the authentication process.

Programs that can interfere with browsers are eg: Optional Firewall / Security programs, Optional Malware / Spyware programs etc. So if you have any of those, try completely disabling those to test.

Lastly if still a problem with clicking allow in your browser and hanging, go into your Google Security page online, and scroll down to “Third party apps” and remove any old eM Client tokens. Could be there is an old eM Client token there & not working. So clearing out any old tokens also can fix it.

I had success today by taking three steps as mentioned above:

• Deleting the old Gmail account in eM Client
  • Removing access in Gmail security (at google.com) for eM Client
  • Restarting Windows

After taking the three steps above, I was able to add a Gmail account to eM Client. Google Chrome is my default browser.

1 Like

The only other reason if you get stuck in a loop trying to authenticate a Gmail account is if you have eg: Windows 10 and have enabled TLS 1.3.

Can’t create gmail account, stuck in authentication loop - Mail - eM Client

Quote from @Gary post from the above thread.

“Have you by any chance enabled TLS 1.3 in Windows 10?
If you have, it is not compatible with that version of Windows, and so you will need to disable it again. Once that is done, try adding the account again”.