How to move eM Client free liscence and files from old windows 7 computer to new window 10 computer.

How do I move my free eM Client liscense and files from my old windows 7 computer to my new windows 10 computer?  I installed a copy of eM Client on the new computer and moved the backup files (in Documents), but it won’t let me select the correct backup file–at least not until I buy an upgraded license.  To continue my free license, do I now have to uninstall eM Client from the old computer, and from the the new computer as well, and then reinstall on the new computer, and then will it let me restore files from the backup?  Should that work?

Hello Dave,
when eM Client isn’t activated with a license, it should work in an offline mode.
Make sure the backup file is in the same spot as it was in your old computer (…/Documents/eM Client) and use the File>Restore option.
Don’t forget to disable your license in your previous computer in the Help>License section, FREE licenses can only be activated in one device at a time.

Regards,
Olivia

Thanks, Olivia.  I had not “deactivated” the old computer.  But now that I have done so, while I am able to download and activate the program in the  new computer, the “Restore” function fails!  It runs–without giving me any choice of which backup file to use–but it does nothing except revert the program back to an unactivated “License type: Demonstration mode”! No local folder or contacts are loaded, and my free license, previously confirmed by a pop up, is gone!

The most recent backup file is in …/Documenst/eM Client, a folder which was apparently created by  your installation program; the other recently created backup files are in a different folder, …/Documents/eM Client backups, which is where they were all located on the old computer. 

Help.

Dave

Hello Dave,
move your older backup into the Documents/eM Client folder as well, if there are more than 1 backup to choose from, you should get a window with a choice from these backups.
If that does not work, simply remove the latest backup which is faulty and eM Client will use the second latest.

Regards,
Olivia

Olivia,

You solved my problem.  Thank you!  You were apparently right about the most recent backup being faulty.  The next oldest worked.

Of course now I’ll worry about how frequently backups are faulty, and whether we can rely on them.  This particular backup that failed was not one of the automatic backups, but rather one I did manually just before the transfer to the new computer.  Did I screw something up?  Are automatic backups more reliable than manual backups?

Thanks again.

Dave