how do configure SSL Encryption for eM client

No mater what I try, I can’t get it to work. I can find out how to do it for MS Outlook on the web, but not with eM Client. I would have thought this would be part of the help contents!

Hi Richard, what mail service are you using? You should be able to choose the security policy in Tools > Accounts > Your account > IMAP/SMTP tab.
Select the port and the use of SSL/TLS for your connection and confirm the selection by pressing Apply or OK.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hi Paul
I don’t know what you mean by “Mail Service”. However, if I select port 25 for SMTP & port 110 for POP3, and then select “use SSL/TLS if available” I can’t send emails. I then use the diagnostic button and the fix button and eventually I get a message that it has been repaired, but it hasn’t; I still can’t send emails. Another rearly anoying issue is that AVG constantly gives me a message saying it can’t scan encrypted emails. The error message directs me to their FAQ to fix this, but it doesn’t work.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I assume AVG has an option to disable scanning encrypted e-mails?

With ‘mail service’ Paul means for example gmail or Exchange Server or Outlook.com.

Hi Hans

As far as I am aware, the mail service is none of the ones you mentioned. Do you mean the mail “box” or “host”? If so it is “mail.jayesheating.co.uk

As for AVG, I can disable scanning emails, but I want my emails scanned for viruses etc. I don’t know if this is a problem with AVG or or a conflict with eM Client. I do know that when AVG tries to scan incoming emails, the error messages lock up my computer & I have to reboot.

I was hoping to sort out the sending emails problem before trying to sort the AVG problem.

Richard

Hi Richard, if you disable the mail security in AVG, does your issue persist? Did you adjust the setting based on my suggestion? I’m using AVG’s latest release and I’m having no issues at all with all the protection options enabled.

Thank you,
Paul.

Port 25 for SMTP is not an encrypted or SSL supported port, you’ll have to find a secure port for your SMTP server (e.g. 465 or 587), but make sure these are enabled on your mail service. Port 25 should be used with “don’t use secure connection” as your security policy.

Thank you,
Paul.