How can I resolve my authentication problem with eM Client please?

How can I resolve my authentication problem with eM Client please?

Common causes for authentication issues are incorrect credentials or settings.

Go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and select the problem account. On the General tab, make sure you have entered the correct login name and password. Then on the IMAP/POP3 and SMTP tabs, make sure that use identity credentials is selected. That means that the login name and password you entered on the General tab will be used for both of the protocols.

The other cause is incorrect settings. On the same IMAP/POP3 and SMTP tabs, make sure that you have the correct security policy for the port you are using.

SMTP
Port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS
Port 25 = Use SSL/TLS if available
Port 465 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

IMAP
Port 993 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 143 = Use SSL/TLS if available

POP3
Port 995 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 110 = Use SSL/TLS if available

These are the correct combinations of port and security policy. Generally other combinations do not work and you get an authentication error. The underlined ones are the best option for security if your server supports them. SMTP port 465 was reassigned and should no longer be used for SMTP, though many mail providers still recommend and use it.

Still a problem: what else can I try please?

What version of eM Client and Windows are you using?

Who is your email provider?

Can you please post the error?

Version 7
Googlemail it WAS giving an authentication error.

I now have my email working but have 2 accounts with gmail! How do I know which one is working? Does it only allow diagnostics when there is a problem? Do I have to insert gmail rather than googlemail?

You can find details of the error in Menu > Tools > Operations. If you look in the Log tab, you will be able to see which account is giving the error.

I don’t use GMail, but as far as I know there is no difference between googlemail.com and gmail.com in the address. Maybe a Google user can comment.