Hotmail won't send messages, just stay in Local Outbox

After MS Live Mail stopped supporting POP3 Hotmail and the imap alternative option became clunky and if you deleted something it went permanantly, even if it was done by mistake, I discovered eM Client yesterday and thought itā€™s absolutely wonderful and unlike Inky and others I tried, it worked with Hotmail without a flawā€¦Ā  but today I discover that any messages I send from it are just sitting in the Local Folder outbox and nothingā€™s going through, but everything else is working fine with it. HELP!!

I just set it up using the automatic thing, but havenā€™t a clue if I have to change anything or what the settings are supposed to be if done manually.

From googling the web, if I manually set the incoming server to ā€œpop3.live.comā€ it seems to test fine, but it canā€™t fix the outgoing server when I input ā€œsmtp.live.comā€, but Iā€™m really just scrabbling as I donā€™t know what any of that means, just what Iā€™ve found to do.

Any ideas??

I first noticed when it said:

An attempt to connect to Hotmail failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?

Itā€™s on smtp.live.com, port 587, use ssl/tls on special port (legacy)

Thanks

And now itā€™s sent them in one hit after 20 minutes of nothing and when sent a test message again itā€™s given that same error message again!! :0/

Hi Matt

Have your outlook & live accounts been migrated to the new Microsoft Exchanger server?

To find out if Microsoft has migrated your account yet - in a Browser, login to your account at outlook.com. When your mailbox has been migrated to the new infrastructure, the top left corner will show Outlook Mail. WhenĀ your account hasnā€™t been migrated yet, it will show Outlook.com.

If it shows Outlook Mail , you need to set up your account in EM client as an Exchange account. iMAP will still work, but not as well as Exchange (also Calendar and Contacts are not synced with iMAP).Ā  An EM ClientĀ  Outlook account (ie using AirSync)will no longer work.Ā 

Note that when you set up an Exchange account, EM Client can take quite a few minutes to obtain the server details.

See this relevant doco

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8ey_8poDxPUQV85WmU3bjNobVk

Many thanks for the reply. I checked and it does say Outlook Email, but while I was waiting for some help, I deleted everything and started again as I believe it was the initial setup by migrating my Live Mail stuff which I thought might carry the problem. Allowed eM Client to go from the start doing it itself automatically instead of migrating/exporting and it all seems to be working fine now.

Good to know the Outlook thing though for future reference. Happily, my deleted messages are all in my trash bin too, which is what I wanted, so all good, thanks. :0)

I was just going to post that my hotmail SMTP settings where:

Host: Ā smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: Ā 587
Security policy: Ā Force usage of SSL/TLS

So, since Iā€™m hereā€¦ lol

smtp-mail.outlook.com works here, but only on port 25 and with policy: SSL/TLS if available, as suggested here.
smtp.live.com is certainly defunct, whereas the original IMAP settings are fine for the account. :smiley: