Help with custom rules

Be careful with these, as it will also move messages from [email protected]

The search is looking for .de anywhere within the field.

This is why I have it going to junk folder and not being trashed, since I know there may be things which mistakenly get caught.
This is also why I asked if I could make a rule for .de to be required at the end and not at random points.
As I previously mentioned that the whole header line was:
I am also curious whether the > symbol counts as a searchable character or if it is ignored as header formatting.
If it is included then I could adjust by putting the > at the end of my .de argument and then it would correctly find email addresses which must be [email protected] because inside the header it would appear as From: "anything anything" <[email protected]> and my rule would be from: .de>

As far as I know it is.

It might be better for you to use the whole domain, so From: tastyclay.xyz. Would be so sad if a legitiamte user [email protected] tried to email you about the wallet he found in your trash last time you had the car cleaned.

… but they do not harm. They make rules much better readable and compatible to server rules.

How do you filter something like abc*.dom*n.*f* without asterisk? With them, it is simple (as shown).

Since tastyclay.xyz might get used for 100,000 spam emails in one day and then never get used, it would be rather pointless to filter one particular domain.
Also I’ve never gotten a legitimate email from any of these first level domains that I’m targeting so I believe they’re a pretty safe bet, obviously this is also why I’m not targeting domains that most people on earth use like .co, .com, .org.
I have however added an exception for when my name is specifically used so that those ones can be directly checked by myself.
I will try to add the > and see if that will work.

However I have sadly also noticed that at present my filter doesn’t appear to be filtering .xyz at all…
To double check again, are rules case sensitive? Do I need to use From: .xyz or does from: .xyz do the same thing?

You can’t as the asterisks are NOT used in eM Client.

But you have blocked .de. That is a MAJOR domain. So are .it and .us

Sure, but I’m not German or Italian or American, so at the least I’m not about to get any emails from .de or .it, and as for .us, I’ll have exception filters to ensure that only relevant and legitimate emails come through.
I’m not planning on flat blacklisting a whole country code without exceptions in place.

So you are just racist then! You blacklist a whole country just because they aren’t the same as you?

That’s quite a leap. This has nothing to do with the race or nationality of other people and the answer is no, I’m not racist.
I love people of all nationalities, religions and races, probably even species if we had pretty aliens come visit.
I don’t know what your intentions are with that, but I think we’re done here.

You said you aren’t German, so you blacklist .de. You aren’t Italian, so you blacklist .it. You decide what that says.

I do and it works fine. You may test it with a sender of your choice be replacing .e. sender by se*er – which will find server aso., too, but this is the advantage of quantifiers. If * is ignored or not used I would be very interested, how it works then…

I tried with current V8 beta and came to a very interesting result:

• Searching from:.store doesn’t find anything.
  • Searching from:*.store brings up the expected emails.

Therefore, I think, that asterisks seems to be absolutely relevant (as I expected).

BUT

• Searching a*.store does not find the respective store beginning with “A”, I have to spilt it into from:a* from:*.store (without asterisks no matches)

I didn’t blacklist them purely because I’m not of a race or nationality matching the domain’s region.
I blacklisted them because I get spam emails from 10-100+ random domains from that region, paired with the fact that out of likelihood and circumstance (not discrimination); I receive no legitimate emails from people or companies in that region.
Pretty much every person who has an email address only receives emails because they gave their email to a particular person, company or website, based usually only in the region they are from, but occasionally in other regions, and only then would they receive emails from those particular people or companies, in their respective regions.
Based on that general rule that applies to every person on earth, I at present have no connection to any person or company from any other country which would cause me to receive emails from those country domains.
I’m more than happy to if it were relevant, but it is not.
My saying that I am not German or Italian was intended to point out that I do not live in those regions, and so using a filter which has such a broad net is in this case unlikely to be inconvenient.

Gary, I’ve seen it mentioned that you’re one of the most active and helpful people on this forum. But don’t jump to your own conclusions and start unnecessary drama with people who are only interested in tech help.
This whole thread has been about filtering out spam emails about penis enlargement and scammers who want me to buy backyard power plants, nothing more.

1 Like

I’m not using beta and found that * functions even in general searches as well, so I’m going to attempt to use that in my rules.
I’m still not sure if from needs to be case sensitive or not, but I’m guessing the rest should be fine, thanks

Rule at present still isn’t working even after adjustments however:

After message has been received
with ‘From: *.best>’, ‘From: *.bid>’, ‘From: *.club>’, ‘From: *.de>’, ‘From: *.ec>’, ‘From: *.host>’, ‘From: *.icu>’, ‘From: *.it>’, ‘From: *.online>’, ‘From: *.pro>’, ‘From: *.shop>’, ‘From: *.site>’, ‘From: *.us>’, ‘From: *.website>’, ‘From: *.xyz>’, ‘From: *.cn>’ found in header
move to [Junk E-mail]
and stop processing other rules
except with (hidden) found in body or subject
or except with (hidden) found in header

Any idea’s what might cause this rule to not work?

To get your problem solved you may paste a mail source (right click on the mail, mail source, copy…) here. I will have a look on it – maybe we can find a solution that does not make people think you’re a racist - which for me is a quite absurd assumption.

Please remove your email address and anything pointing to your acount from this source (copy into text editor first)

If you are not sure how to do that, you can send a pm to me (message only to me with letter icon) – I garantee you your privacy.

See Rules based on top level domain for some research I’ve done.

The result is objectively unsatisfactory because “somehow everyone is right”, which in this case is not a reasonable answer for a predictable search result.

That is off-topic. It deals with Searches, not Rules. They are not the same.

I think it belongs here. As written in the conclusion there finding e-mails is not described anyway and there are apparently different ways implemented. I can not understand why “use rule to query” behaves different to “use query to find”.

Rules are “automated searches” applied on incoming/outgoing mails. These rules should be set up identically to search folders or a search. It seems as if three different programmers had coded each part and did not talk to another to achieve a gerneral syntax for a better user experience.

Edit: But this just makes it clear to me why I use almost no rules: they are relatively unsuitable for pre-filtering.

1 Like

No, they are not. Rules and Searches are NOT the same thing. Please don’t confuse the original question by going off on a tangent and suggesting that they are the same. For one thing, you can’t use the same arguments in a Rule as you can in a Search.

Sorry Gary, I don’t share your opinion. For me it is confusing that the generally same process »querying emails« is realized in three different mannors.

The only difference is the impact and the trigger:

• »Rules« apply automatically and can result in a physical impact to each e-mail (delete, move,…) sent or received.
  • »Search folders« apply automatically and result in a logical set of e-mails (show there but it stays in it’s physical place) to available e-mails in post boxes.
  • »Search» applies temporarily triggered by the user.

All three processes have one thing in common: They depend on a query definition. There is no discernible, logical or practical reason to use fundamentally different strategies for this. What benefit does this have for the user?

However, I must admit and agree with you: this is extremely confusing. I reinforce this by talking about the presumed reasons for this - which is actually “off topic”, while you offer solutions on a case-by-case basis.

I have to separate this, I appologize.

1 Like