Help Restoring DB

Hi Madelien, you can try to upload the backup to our FTP server, can you please send me another message with a reference link to this forum topic, so I can send you the credentials to the FTP?

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

We uploaded the file to the FTP server. I desperately need a couple of emails in that file, I would greatly appreciate it if you could please help me!

Thanks,

Madelien

Hi Madelien, sorry for my belated response, I’ve checked the file, but indeed as you say the file can not be extracted due to being “invalid”, do you think you could check your hard drive file system.

Right click the hard drive and select Properties, check if your hard drive is using NTFS or Fat file system.

Also if you have multiple hard drives on your computer, please check all of them and comment which one had the backup file created on…

Thank you,
Paul

HI,

The external hard drive that I originally made the backup to is a FAT32 file system.

My laptop’s hard drive where the backup file is now is NTFS.

Thanks,

Madelien

Hi Madelie, sorry to see this, this is unfortunately the problem behind the inability to extract the backup.
The FAT32 file system only supports a maximum file size up to 4GB of space, and can not create a larger file, this has caused the backup file corruption.

I’m sorry this has happened, but I’m afraid there’s no option for restoring the backup file.

Thank you,
Paul

How does it then manage to save the file on the hard drive? Also, is there a way I can avoid this from happening again in future?

Hi Madelien, it doesn’t as you can see. The file system does not allow it, it’s a limitation that has been overcome by different file systems, e.g. Extended FAT, or the NTFS which is currently being used as standard for Windows OS.

You should be able to save a larger file on any other medium that has a different filesystem (e.g. NTFS), however this has been partially our fault as the application does not include any warnings about this problematic.

However we will improve this for future releases of eM Client.

Thank you,
Paul

Thank you for your assistance.

No problem, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul

Hello,

Sorry to bother you again, I have one last question.

If I run the backup onto my hard drive, and then copy that file over onto an external hard drive, will I run into the same problem? I need to keep my backups (or copies thereof) somewhere not on my laptop, in case of theft or hardware crash etc. 

Alternatively, is there a way to split the backup so that each backup file becomes smaller? I’m worried about losing information again in future. In this the email I need is pivotal in protecting me in an upcoming court case. I certainly don’t want to run into a similar problem again.

Thank you,

Hi again, this depends on the file system your external drive is using as I previously mentioned the FAT32 file system does not support files larger than 4GB, but if you’re using NTFS on your external drive you should be able to perform the backup without issues.

Unfortunately it is not possible to split the backup file, as the backup file is a compressed copy of your database data.

Regards,
Paul