gmail imap an attempt to connect failed

Some Thunderbird users may rarely or never see the font problem if they never stop typing, click some other place in the message, then come back to resume typing. If I remember correctly, I could avoid the problem if I came back and clicked somewhere in the last word, arrow over past the last font in the word, spaced and resumed typing. The problem occurred when I would come back and click at the end of the last word in the message and resumed typing.
My primary font, Tahoma, would change to Variable width, and be much smaller. I tried changing my primary font to something else but it did not help. Tahoma was selected in Settings. :slight_smile:

I believe George is correct. Whenever my computer goes to sleep, the Internet connect is shut down. eM tries to connect during this time, apparently, if I leave eM open which I usually do. I changed the Syn task to “Syn at startup” and am hoping that will fix the error problem. I should know it this solves the problem by the end of today.

I tried everything you’ve said but I didn’t get and font changes. Try Stationary add-on and see.

Not quiet sure what you are saying. I don’t have Thunderbird anymore. I use eM Client.

For about the last 24 hours, I have had the same problem with gmail as the original post. I get the error message of unable to connect, and the red triangle next to the account. However, a manual send/receive does not fix it. Nothing has changed on my end regarding account settings. The operation log says “[IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: No server response within 30 second timeout. —> System.IO.IOException: No server response within 30 second timeout.”

My internet connection is good, and my PC works fine on all other connections. In frustration, I tried doing a repair on the Inbox, and that wiped out the whole inbox and nothing seems to retrieve it. Everything looks good (thankfully) on the gmail web interface.

This whole thing started when I was annoyed that some messages and attachments were not being downloaded. I tried setting the “download messages for offline use” option under the account setup, but that didn’t have any effect."

I am considering deleting the account and reentering it, or even deleting and reinstalling the app, but hate to go to that trouble if not necessary.

Please advise.

My gmail messages are “Forwarded” from Gmail to my Charter server and in turn eM connects to Charter mail and downloads everything in the box. So I see no way the issue is related to Gmail.

Mike, if you uninstall and it asked if you want to keep personal folders, click Yes and hopefully your email will still be there when you re-install.

Follow-up to my earlier post: I also confirmed that my gmail account is working fine with my iPad, my Android phone, and also on my PC wih Zimbra Desktop.

eM does not connect to Gmail (I am pretty sure). eM connects to your Internet Server where your inbox is located.

Correction: Internet Provider server where your email inbox is located.

If you’re using gmail, then your inbox is on the gmail server, and eM connects to gmail via IMAP.

I have mine set up differently. I have Gmail “forward” my mail to my Charter account and then eM downloads from Charter.

Yes, I agree that I have an inbox at Gmail but any mail that comes into that box at Gmail is automatically “Forwarded” to my Charter inbox which in turn is download by eM to my computer. Gmail does retain a copy of that email.

Then for you it’s not really important anymore if Thunderbird is working or not :slight_smile:

I deleted the gmail account and re-entered it, and it seems to be working now. It is taking hours to re-download over 2GB of mail, but it is communicating with the server now. Something must have been corrupted in the settings, but nothing visible was changed.

It seems that something is blocking your connection - do you use any firewall or antivirus?

Same problem here. Just started a week or so ago. No system changes I am aware of. I wonder if there has been a recent update to EM Client? Re-install of the account helped for a day or so but now doing it again. Already been using the 2-min sync time. Tried other Gmail port and security settings with no improvement. Good internet connection, fast PC. Should not be a firewall issue unless gmail ports are unique in some way.

Does sound like a timeout of some kind. Doesn’t happen with any other apps.

I made some setting changes and have not had the sync problem since. See my changes above. Try changing settings to “Sync at Startup”.

Same problem faced by me as well. If i switch to Sync at startup, does it mean it won’t sync after the application has started for the rest of the time the application is up and running?

Yes, I think that is correct. But you might find a way to sync manually. You can always close eM and restart periodically.

Check out this web page and be sure to read Step 5.
http://www.emclient.com/em-client-wit…

I don’t use Gmail calendar so don’t think I need to Sync.

I have logged on to my Gmail account and have my email “Forwarded” to my ATT email address and all my gmail messages are downloaded from Gmail to eM via my ATT account. Works great.