Getting error: Cannot connect to Outlook.com account for a week now

Today is 12/8/21.

This is the error:

“[IMAP]Known Microsoft Exchange server error “User is authenticated but not connected” has been encountered on IMAP connection. This issue is temporary and should be automatically resolved by the server. If not, please contact your mail provider.”

I’ve tried uninstalling eM Client several times and reinstalling it. Also removed the outlook account and add it freshly - no dice. Tried both auto add and manual - same result. This is similar to the big issue back in Oct '21. What’s the latest solution to fix this?? It’s frustrating. Thanks for any ideas.

In the meantime, I’m using the native Mail app for Windows 10 as a backup which works fine. I just like the eMC interface a lot better though.

What are your IMAP settings.

As the error says, this is a known error with the server.
You will need to contact the server provider and ask them to resolve it.

Or give the IMAP settings as @cyberzork asked. Maybe using different settings will not be affected by the server error. It is worth a try.

I haven’t changed anything. It’s on the current standard settings of imap-mail.outlook.com - 993 and smtp-mail.outlook.com - 587. What do you suggest changing it to?

It has not been downloading (or syncing) any new emails for over a week now. Plus, I’m unable to send anything. So after reinstalling the client and setting up again, no messages can be downloaded from the server. The error just pops up right away. I tested things by downloading Bluemail and it seems to work okay. And of course it works fine with the Windows Mail app provided by Windows 10. Could this be an eMC issue? No other problems noted. I use the Outlook app on my Android phone and no problems there.

@beamer138

I haven’t changed anything. It’s on the current standard settings of imap-mail.outlook.com - 993 and smtp-mail.outlook.com - 587. What do you suggest changing it to?

As you have the correct IMAP Server and Port setting and have already tried removing and reinstalling eM Client as well as removed and re-added your Outlook account and same issue, it does sound like some sort of Microsoft issue as @Gary suggested above & i would also contact Microsoft to check.

I personally use a Microsoft Outlook.com account with the following eM Client IMAP settings using the automatic email wizard and works perfectly so i know there is no issues with eM Client.

I tested things by downloading Bluemail and it seems to work okay. And of course it works fine with the Windows Mail app provided by Windows 10

Prev when Microsoft had XOAUTH issues globally (some users on this forum) were able to access their accounts via only Bluemail and Win 10 Mail as you said but “No other mail client would work” as (i also found at the time) when that Microsoft issue happened. However that issue was resolved as @Olivia_Rust advised in the link above sometime ago & don’t think this problem is related.

However if you have eg: Windows 10 you can alternativily try the “Outlook/Hotmail/MSN/Live account Exchange” eM Client setup (that i used at the time of the Microsoft Global Outage) which still syncs your Outlook Mail, Contacts, and Calendar but (does have a aprox 1min delay) on new incoming mail. It does involve installing / modifying a reg file, but might help you out currently if its a Microsoft mailbox issue which might take time to resolve. I personally used this setup at the time and worked fine for me.

Note:- If you are not confident installing or modifying reg files, then maybe have a tech friend help you. I would also suggest to create a eg: System Restore point prior to modifying any registry.

Why is my Outlook/Hotmail/MSN/Live account not synchronizing or really slow? - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software (emclient.com)

1 Like

Thanks Cyberzork. I’m just going to wait a few more days to see if this gets corrected. I don’t understand why it’s not affecting others who has an Outlook account also. There’s a glitch somewhere. As I have a backup for now, I’ll pass on the Exchange method. I’ll wait a few days and try to setup Outlook again in eMC and let you know what happens. Appreciate the support!