Frequent connection problems with Outlook.com

eM Client works with very high reliability in the case of my gmail account but very poor reliability with my outlook.com account.  Examples of the two most common failures are as follows:

17:31:50 My Outlook Mail [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. —> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host17:31:50    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
17:31:50    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
17:31:50    — End of inner exception stack trace —
17:31:50    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
17:31:50    at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
17:31:50    at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
17:31:50    at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
17:31:50    at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
17:31:50    at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
17:31:50    at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
17:31:50    at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(String targetHost, X509CertificateCollection clientCertificates, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation)
17:31:50    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9()
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
17:31:50 — End of inner exception stack trace —
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeMessagesCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
17:31:50 at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
17:31:50 at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

----------------

18:15:07 My Outlook Mail [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException:
18:15:07 (Connection terminated)
18:15:07 at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
18:15:07 at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
18:15:07 at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
18:15:07 at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeMessagesCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
18:15:07 at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
18:15:07 at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Upgrading to eM Client version 6.0.22930.0 has made precisely no difference but reading countless other posts indicates that antivirus software may be a cause. If this is so, what do I need to tell Symantec Endpoint to ignore? MailClient.exe or something else?

If there are other things I should also do, please advise me before I revert to webmail or back to Thunderbird (from where I came) to preserve my sanity. I’d rather not because other than this problem and that I have not found a way for W7 to perform indexed searches I much prefer eM Client.

Many thanks.

Hello, seems like you’re using some security software on your computer, that may be blocking the connection to the server, please try to temporarily disable the software and check if the issue persists, or setup an exception for eM Client in order to let it connect to the remote server.

Hope this helps,

Hi Paul,

Yes, I wrote this in my post :slight_smile:

Quote: “Upgrading to eM Client version 6.0.22930.0 has made precisely no difference but reading countless other posts indicates that antivirus software may be a cause.  If this is so, what do I need to tell Symantec Endpoint to ignore?  MailClient.exe or something else?”

I cannot disable Symantec Endpoint (the security software) because it is corporately controlled but I do have the ability to define exceptions so as quoted I asked for assistance in what to define as such an exception.

What should it be, please?

Thanks.

Hello, yes if you’re using security software on your computer, create an exception for MailClient.exe to avoid this issue, that should help.

Regards,

Thanks, Paul.  I’ll do that and report back what happens.

Cheers.

The failures reported above have not happened since creating the antivirus exception but I now get two new ones.  These only happen when collecting Outlook e-mail via eM Client - not gmail, which continues to work properly.  

eM Client will correctly process many folder synchronisations, throw one of the errors, and then carry on.

09:05:38    My Outlook Mail [IMAP]  MailClient.Imap.FolderOpenException: Cannot open folder “XXX/YYY/ZZZ/”. (Select Command is not permitted in current state (NotAuthenticatedServerError))09:05:38    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.SelectFolder(Folder value, Boolean force)
09:05:38    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
09:05:38    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeMessagesCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)

09:06:49 My Outlook Mail [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
09:06:49 (Connection terminated)

What is causing these failures and how do I fix them, please?

If they are irrelevant or temporary as indicated by successful processing either side of them without human involvement, how do I hide them?

Thanks.

Another error with Outlook making three that now regularly happen (Two as the post above plus the one below). 

13:07:41 My Outlook Mail [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: 13:07:41 ()
13:07:41    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeMessagesCommand.RemoveDeletedMessages(ConnectionContext context)
13:07:41    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeMessagesCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
13:07:41    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
13:07:41    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Hello, I believe these issues must be connected to the security software checking your connections to the server, the connection to the server is being closed prematurely, thus an error is thrown, if you’re not having issues with synchronising your email, you can hide the error window from showing in Tools > Settings > General by unchecking the option “Show window when an error occurs”.

If you’re experiencing issues while fetching new email, navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable IMAP logging for the problematic account, save the settings, replicate the issue and when it occurs, restart the application. After you do so go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logging data to my work mail [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Regards,

Thank you, Paul.
Will do.
Stay tuned!

An update to say that this is not forgotten but long working days are currently getting in the way of personal e-mail!

Hello, not really sure what you’re suggesting by this, are you still experiencing issues with this?

Regards,

Hi Paul,

What I meant was I am overloaded with work - including travel abroad - so have done no more troubleshooting since the original posts; I use eM Client for personal mail only so it has had to take a back seat priorities-wise.

All I have done is use the option to switch off the failure messages before I went mad even though this isn’t actually solving anything.  I will report back in a week or two when my travels are over for the time being.

Cheers,
Voyager

An update to say that I am still living with the error messages switched off.  It is a lot less frustrating and mail sends and receives reliably enough that any delay caused by the (now invisible) dropped connections is not hugely apparent.  I’ll live with this for the time being.

Cheers,
Voyager