Fix recurring task reminders

When you create a recurring task, the reminder you set only applies to the first occurrence. For subsequent occurrences, you have to set each one’s reminder manually. This is very unintuitive.

I suggest each occurrence’s reminder be automatically set based on the series’ reminder.

Love the product…  I concur that this is an annoyance and counter intuitive.

Any chance this may get fixed in future updates?

Hi Sam, Hi Chris, we’re currently working on a fix for this issue as several users have already reported this problem, I’ll let you know when the update containing the fix is released.

Thank you for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience,
Paul.

I was about to pen a comment to the same effect. The first time I used reminders, I assumed they would trigger each time the task was due, and missed some tasks because of that. It wasn’t critical but I would agree that recurring reminders would be great. Thanks - AF

Hi, unless you dismiss the reminders, the reminder should be kept for each occurrence of the recurring task, please try to update your eM Client to this release and check if the problem persists, after the update, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21364/setup.msi

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,
I’ve installed the update. Thanks for that. I’m not sure if I have dismissed the prior reminders, but if I did, of course my intention would be to dismiss the ‘current’ reminder, not all future reminders. I’m not sure if that’s what you mean, but I’ll work with this. Thanks again.
Al F.

I just downloaded the update and it works great!
Note: I had to change my current recurrent tasks to non recurring, save, and then set them up again as recurring in order for this to work properly.

Thanks so much!
Chris

Hi Chris, glad it works, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul

I think part of the problem here is that the reminder pop-up does not include an option to mark the task as ‘completed’. Clicking ‘Dismiss’ just closes the pop-up, and the task remains uncompleted (and hence doesn’t roll onto the next recurrence).

At first I thought that if I clicked ‘Open Item’, selected ‘Completed’ from the ‘Status’ drop-down menu, and clicked ‘Save’, the task would roll on to the next recurrence. It doesn’t: the entire series is marked as ‘completed’. The ‘Open Item’ button is actually a shortcut for opening an item and selecting ‘Open the series’ not ‘Open this occurrence’. Surely this is a bug?

In any case, it’s a long-winded and not exactly intuitive procedure. It would be far more intuitive to have a ‘Completed’ button on the reminder pop-up, which marks only the active occurrence as ‘completed’.

These two changes should be simple to implement, so can we look forward to seeing them in the next software update?

Edward Leigh

Hi Edward, what version of eM Client are you currently using. By dismissing a recurrent task from the reminders window does not dismiss the reminder for the whole series.

Please update your client to the latest release, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21372/setup.msi and check if the issue persists.

I do however agree, that marking the reminder as completed could be useful if included in the reminders window. We’ll consider improving this for future releases of eM Client.

Thank you,
Paul

We just noticed yesterday that there was no way to mark a task as completed from the reminder pop-up window.  I fully concur that this would be a very useful feature.

Thanks Paul. I’ve installed the latest version, and I can confirm that recurring reminders are working correctly, even when an earlier occurrence is not marked as completed.

Great product, great support, thank you!

Edward

Hi again Edward, glad I could help, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul