File restore issues

hi,

I just migrated to a new PC, and my old folders and contacts have vanished. i tried a file>restore, which failed. i was instructed to copy the below and contact support:

System.IO.IOException: Access to the path ‘C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\eM Client’ is denied.
at System.IO.FileSystem.MoveDirectory(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.Move(String sourceDirName, String destDirName)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(String backupFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<MainForm_Load>b__0(Object a, DoWorkEventArgs b)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Hi,

I DID manage to restore the emClient on the old PC with a file>restore back up from 3/25 (hooray), it shows my contacts and folders.

I copied that back up file to the Desktop of the new PC to try to restore the emC on the new one, but I cant find it to select for the restore. any suggestions, thx…

I have found the good back up file on the new PC, but emC is not giving me the option to select a b/u; it goes into “unpacking” something when I do file>restore. i did a b/u on the new one twice trying to create a destination for the b/u that maybe i could drop the old one into the file… basically, just blundering along…

You should be able to find the file by clicking on the browse icon, then navigating to the directory where you saved it.

Another option is to save the file in the default backup location, (…\Documents\eM Client) then it should be listed in the drop down list.

hi gary,

thanks so much for the reply. I never get the Select File window, it goes right into “unpacking” some long file name… I never get the option to chose the restore I want. It says it is the Em Client Restore Tool. when I let that run, nothing changes that I can see.

I think this happens when there is only a single backup zip file in the directory.

In eM Client go to Menu > Settings > General > Backup and make a note of the target directory.

Open Windows Explorer and go to that directory. Delete anything there and paste your latest backup from the old computer.

Then try the restore again, and this time it will use the copied backup zip file.

the old b/u file was in the destination (3/25/2021), but I still dont get the option to choose, it goes straight to “unpacking” that file.

I had thought that might be the case if only one file in there, so I had created a b/u on 4/7…

OK Getting somewhere! I had been looking at that file in my D drive, but it was actually in the C drive. when I added it there I was allowed to choose that one. Now dealing with the license request… wondering where to find that…

had the key sent to me, filled it in, all is well! have the old folders, and the contacts… thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi, I have got the same error message, It seems you were able to fix it, can you please tell me how you proceeded

Thanks