Feature wish list

Hi eM team,

I really like eM client - a great alternative to Outlook! Thanks for creating such a great product! :slight_smile:

I just wished a couple things could be improved to make the experience even better. I’ve compiled below my wish list (in no particular order) - I’d love to hear your feedback on this.

General

• Add new option to close mail window when deleting/archiving message (instead of moving to the next email);
  • Configure behaviour of “Delete” key - I would like it to archive a message instead of deleting it;
  • Enable toolbar customisation;
  • Have the Mail and Calendar (or any other) tabs open in different windows;
  • Create option to automatically download attachments below a certain size;
  • Get the reminder window to show up above ALL other windows;
  • Create compact view for mailboxes – I’d love to be able to see more emails in one screen.

Mail

• Add option to group messages in threads;
  • Add option to show only unread email or sort based on read/unread status;
  • Enable to collapse toolbar (“full screen” view);
  • Enable to auto format email display in mailbox based on certain criteria (e.g. colour in blue preview of messages sent only to me, colour in grey messages where I am only in CC, etc.);
  • Add keyboard shortcut to save attachments;
  • Add option to automatically download images in emails from sender with a specific domain name (e.g. @myorganisation.com).

Formatting

• Enable to create emails in Rich Text;
  • Enable auto-format: create bulleted list when starting a line with “*”, start dash list when starting a line with “-”;
  • Enable auto-replace for text (e.g. “HTH” to “Hope this helps”);
  • Copy and paste format with shortcuts ctrl-shit-C and ctrl-shift-V;
  • Move paragraphs up and down with shortcuts alt-shift-arrow_up and alt-shift-arrow_down;
  • Indent and outdent paragraphs with shorts alt-shift-arrow_right and alt-shift-arrow_left.

Calendar

• Enable to create an email from a calendar event - i.e. send an email to meeting organiser and/or attendees;
  • Show calendar events in different colours/level of transparency based on status (e.g. Free should be shown as semi-transparent);
  • Set up default reminder time for calendar events (e.g. 15 minutes);
  • Automatically close/archive meeting request when accepting/declining invite;
  • Add ability to select other calendars to display - currently, I have to go to Google Calendar to add these calendars to my list, then eM Client will allow me to toggle them on and off;
  • Snooze notifications until X minutes before start of the meeting;
  • Auto snooze/dismiss notifications after X minutes;
  • Make time selection easier – currently, changing a 30 minutes meeting to a 1-hour meeting requires far too many steps (e.g. changing a 9:00 to 9:30 meeting to a 9:00 to 10:00 meeting requires me to click on the hours, manually type “10”, then click on the minutes and manually type “00”, hence four actions instead of selecting “10:00 (1 hour)” in a drop down menu, which would be 1 action).

Bugs

• Fix bugs with shortcut: it takes me several tries to send an email with the shortcut I have set up (alt-S)
  • Fix bug where deleting an attendee from a meeting request always takes several tries;
  • Formatting with bullet points – especially when trying to paste a list within a list – is a mess and needs to be fixed;
  • Often, only one attachment is saved when selecting several attachment to save to hard drive and clicking the “save” icon in the “bubble”;
  • Fix search function – too often, it fails to retrieve emails I know exist (and that I can find on Gmail/Inbox web apps);
  • Fix bug where the “unread” view shows duplicate messages – presumably because it collates unread from several Gmail “mailboxes” which are overlapping (e.g. “Inbox” + “Important” + “All Mail”).

I’ll make sure to come back to this thread and add more suggestions as I keep using the product.

Let me know if you have any questions on the above - I’d be happy to elaborate.

Best,
Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,
sorry for the delayed reaction, I’ll try to address all your points that are already solved, the rest will be treated as a feature request.

General
-you can change this setting in Tools>Settings>Mail>Read. Check the option to Close the original message window after deleting the message to close the window instead of moving to the next one
-you can change the shortcuts in the Settings under General>Shortcuts. Archiving using a shortcut is only available for gmail accounts though (if you use a gmail account though, you can change the shortcuts for archiving and deleting here)
-toolbar customization is available in the upcoming eM Client 7
-what problems do you experience with the reminder window? It should indeed go above all windows.

Mail
-Message conversations are implemented in eM Client 7
-This sorting is already implemented, in columns view you can click the mail icon to sort unread first or simply change the option the ‘Sorted by’ option above the message list to Icon.
-in version 7 you can change the color of the message subject in the message list depending on the Category. Adding rules that would add your incoming messages to certain categories and then used the category color sounds like the effect you’d like to have.

Formatting
-Advanced formatting will be considered

Calendar
-Default reminder can be set by right-clicking the calendar>Properties and change the Default Reminder time.
-All your google calendars should be added automatically - does this happen to the calendars you made or shared calendars?
-when creating an event, you can drag and drop from and to the time you want the meeting to begin/end. In version 7 you can set a default meeting length and then round it to one hour so you dont have to change both minutes and the hour in the future.

Please report bugs and issues separately so they can be followed separately. When reporting a bug, please include any error messages you see and your current version of eM Client (exact number from Help>About section) as many of the issues might be fixed in a newer release.

For your Gmail problems, in version 6 they can be fixed by disabling the All Mail from IMAP stream and re-synchronizing your account or waiting for eM Client 7 which works much smoother with all Gmail functions.
As for the search function, this is probably connected with the IMAP account. IMAP automatically only downloads the headers of your messages to save time and space on your computer. If you wish to be able to search your messages completely, go to Tools>Accounts and under IMAP tab enable downloading your messages for offline use.

All points I didn’t mention have been added to our feature request list where our developers can consider them for future implementation. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Olivia,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Some additional comments below

-you can change this setting in Tools>Settings>Mail>Read. Check the option to Close the original message window after deleting the message to close the window instead of moving to the next one

This unfortunately doesn’t seem to work :frowning: When I have a email window open and choose to archive the message, the next message in the list is displayed

-you can change the shortcuts in the Settings under General>Shortcuts. Archiving using a shortcut is only available for gmail accounts though (if you use a gmail account though, you can change the shortcuts for archiving and deleting here)

Unfortunately, I cannot assign the delete key to perform another action but “Delete”

-toolbar customization is available in the upcoming eM Client 7

Great, looking forward to it!

-what problems do you experience with the reminder window? It should indeed go above all windows.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t always work - but it’s not systematic

-This sorting is already implemented, in columns view you can click the mail icon to sort unread first or simply change the option the ‘Sorted by’ option above the message list to Icon.

I was not mentioning a sorting option, but a filtering option - i.e. a smart mailbox displaying only unread messages (or only flagged messages, etc.)

-Default reminder can be set by right-clicking the calendar>Properties and change the Default Reminder time.

Well hidden! Thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

-All your google calendars should be added automatically - does this happen to the calendars you made or shared calendars?

They are, but I have to add them through the Google Calendar web app to make it work - there doesn’t seem to be a way to do this within eM

Thanks very much for the other tips and information. Looking forward to eM Client v7!

Best,
Jonathan

I have searched, unsuccessfully, for a shortcut to indent/outdent text. Hoping to incorporate into a macro for captions beneath pasted images when composing mail.

If I’ve overlooked something, please forgive me. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul.