Fails when attachment is large ( eg, 5mb ) on slow connection, yet mail is sent.

I’ve noticed that em Client times out on larger attachments as it waits for the mail to move on from the mail server, which isn’t always quick… How do I change the timeouts on this?

Hi, unfortunately it is not possible to change the timeout settings for your email account.
What mail service are you currently using in eM Client and what version of eM Client are you currently using?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding - I’m using the latest version of eM Client ( fresh download ) and Sendmail / IMAP under Linux - The problem shows in the logs - Here’s an example that just happened -

( Time from establishing connection to mail sent = 1minute 10 seconds. )

Nov 5 21:52:56 gateway sm-mta[10453]: sA5DplUA010453: to=, ctladdr= (1000/100), delay=00:01:08, xdelay=00:01:07, mailer=esmtp, pri=3182733, relay=aspmx.l.google.com. [74.125.28.26], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (OK 1415195576 fr14si3112311pdb.101 - gsmtp)
Nov 5 21:52:56 gateway sm-mta[10453]: sA5DplUA010453: done; delay=00:01:08, ntries=1
Nov 5 21:52:56 gateway sm-mta[10453]: sA5DplUA010453: — 250 2.0.0 sA5DplUA010453 Message accepted for delivery
Nov 5 21:52:56 gateway sm-mta[10453]: sA5DplUB010453: — 421 4.4.1 SERVER.COM.AU Lost input channel from [my-workstation-IP-address]
Nov 5 21:52:56 gateway sm-mta[10453]: NOQUEUE: — 050 Closing connection to aspmx.l.google.com.

As you can see, it works perfectly, then eM Client hangs until the mail is sent, then when it does send, it immediately gives the error - however it’s clear it’s closed the channel - From what I can tell, it’s most likely related to a timeout problem when the server has a slow connection to whatever mail server it’s talking to -

Can you offer assistance on how I can get it to wait for the sent OK and move the email to the sent folder? At the moment, I have to check the logs and move it manually - Though it only occurs with larger attachments and the associated delays -

Thanks
David

Hi again David, can you please enable IMAP logging for the problematic account in Tools > Settings > Advanced?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the issue occurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs”, also if there are any errors displayed please switch to the “Log” tab in the operations window and copy the content of the log as well. Please send me both logs to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I recreated the issue and have sent through all the logs - I also included SMTP logging and also a copy of SMTP and IMAP logs from the server - as well as the operations log.

The email I sent through to you went through OK - so it does look very much like a timeout issue based on what I can see in the logs - So please let me know if there’s any way to fix it -

Thanks
David.

Hi again, thank you for the received data, I’ve forwarded the data to the developers for more information, I’ll keep you posted as soon as I get more information about the issue.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi, I was just wondering if there’s any progress on this, or if there’s any way I can follow the progress? Thanks, David.

Hi, unfortunately as I previously stated, the additional information received have been submitted to the developers for more information, however I’ve not yet received a response regarding this issue, I’ll keep you posted as soon as possible.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.