Export and Import of contacts File As name field contains slash to escape comma using VCF

I connected to my Outlook.com account, exported contacts to one VCF file, then imported contacts into a CardDAV account. The contacts imported to eM Client “File As” name field contains slash to escape comma using VCF. Like “Lastname, Firstname”. I expected the this field to not include programmed escape characters. I can remove this by clearing the field and re-saving the contact. However, once imported in eM Client, this is laborious with hundreds of contacts.

Hi, not completely sure what you’re referring to, how did you export and import the contacts, did you use the export feature in eM Client and reimported to an existing carddav account through eM Client? I was unfortunately unable to reproduce such issue when exporting contacts out of an Outlook.com account?

What CardDAV service are you using with eM Client? What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check for the exact version number in Help > About?

Thank you,
Paul

Hello - I am using the most recent version of eM Client downloaded this week. I am sorry, I’m remote at the moment and can’t access my PC. I am using the contact export/import feature of eM Client. I noticed the exported file contains “Lastname, Firstname” and then gets imported the same way. I am using ownCloud 7 as CardDAV.

What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check for the exact version number in Help > About?
Can you please submit one of the exported files or a test export file to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

I was unfortunately unable to reproduce a similar issue while exporting data from outlook.com account.

Thank you,
Paul

eMClient 6.0.21372.0
Email sent.
Thank you for your assistance.

I have the same problem with carddav syncing in the “name” field a comma is escaped with a slash and if I save it double than it adds even more slashes. I think a comma does not need to be escaped in that case. Other carddav programs as carddavsync for android, inverse sos-connector for thunderbird do not show such a behaviour

Hi, this has unfortunately proven to be a server side issue, the additional back slash is being added after the application uploads the created item to the server. User’s server unfortunately returns the sort string with an additional backslash.

PUT:

06:22:44.288|016| SORT-STRING:able, albert

GET:

06:22:44.740|016| SORT-STRING:able\, albert

this unfortunately has to be reported to the server-side support as an CardDAV server issue.

What CardDAV server are you using with eM Client?

Thank you,
Paul

This is still a problem. I have reproduced this as a bug in eM Client. Please reconsider your stance on this issue. When I clear the File As field and re-save the contact, it is fine.

Hi, as I suggested, this is not an application issue, as the additional slash sign is added after the synchronization with your server, please make sure to report the issue to owncloud in order to resolve it as soon as possible.

Regards,
Paul