Error "iCloud: Connecting to iCloud failed"

I am a new eM Client user (free 30 day trial) wanting to replace Outlook for AOL email and ability to sync my calendars and contacts with iCloud. After first adding the iCloud account it synced properly, however now I get an error message “iCloud: Connecting to iCloud failed”

And the log file is:

11:55:44 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.UpdatePrincipalProperties(Uri baseUri, Boolean retryOnNotFound)

11:55:44 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)

11:55:44 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

11:55:45 AM iCloud [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder iCloud/

11:55:45 AM iCloud [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done

I do NOT use the iCloud email, only calendar and contacts. Being the free version, I deleted my RoadRunner email account hoping that was causing the error but I continue to get the error.

Please help as I’d really love to stop using Outlook!

Thank!

Hi, are you using any security software on your computer? Are you using any other accounts in eM Client? Can you please make a screenshot of your account settings from Tools > Accounts?

If the issue reoccurs, can you please copy the content of the “Log” in Operations as the part you’ve submitted should contain an additional information about the specific error that was thrown.

Thank you…

Yes, I am using Kaspersky Internet Security.

The other account I am using is aol email. I was also using my Roadrunner email account but deleted that after getting error messages because that would have made 3 accounts (isn’t 2 the max on this free account?)

I do not use the iCloud email account just the calendar and contacts so I have disabled (I think) the email portion of the iCloud account.

Thank  you so much for your help!

Here is the complete log file:

7:28:12 AM Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability 7:28:12 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
7:28:12 AM iCloud [CalDAV]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: The remote name could not be resolved: ‘caldav.icloud.com’ —> System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: ‘caldav.icloud.com
7:28:12 AM    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
7:28:12 AM    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
7:28:12 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.RequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 logBody) 7:28:12 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.XmlRequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 logBody)
7:28:12 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
7:28:12 AM    — End of inner exception stack trace —
7:28:12 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
7:28:12 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.UpdatePrincipalProperties(Uri baseUri, Boolean retryOnNotFound)
7:28:12 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
7:28:12 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
7:28:13 AM iCloud [CalDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder iCloud/
7:28:13 AM iCloud [CardDAV]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: The remote name could not be resolved: ‘contacts.icloud.com’ —> System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: ‘contacts.icloud.com
7:28:13 AM    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
7:28:13 AM    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
7:28:13 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.RequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 logBody) 7:28:13 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.XmlRequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 logBody)
7:28:13 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
7:28:13 AM    — End of inner exception stack trace —
7:28:13 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
7:28:13 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.UpdatePrincipalProperties(Uri baseUri, Boolean retryOnNotFound)
7:28:13 AM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
7:28:13 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
7:28:13 AM iCloud [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder iCloud/
7:28:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:28:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/Saved
7:28:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
7:28:13 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
7:28:14 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done

Hi again Shelly, the error is suggesting the Calendar part of the iCloud account is not properly setup and no data can be found on the remote server, this may be caused by your security software or an incorrect setup of the account.

Try to temporarily disable the security software on your computer and check if the issue persists, if it does, please remove your iCloud calendar account and try to setup the account again in eM Client using these steps, http://www.emclient.com/em-with-icloud?lang=en - remember to uncheck the Mail and Contacts option in your final step if you only want to synchronize your calendars.

Hi Paul,

The Calendar was populated and the error only occurred every other time or so (thus disabling Kaspersky for that long of a period wouldn’t be prudent). None the less, I deleted the iCloud account and set it up per your link. Very weird after that I got an AOL email error once.

I have added eM Client as a trusted program on Kaspersky to see if that helps.

If I get the error message now I will let you know.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi Paul,

After not getting the error for 3 times opening eM, I got this error and log.

With the log file:
4:22:01 PM Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability

4:22:01 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder[email protected]/

4:22:01 PM [email protected] [CalDAV]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: The remote name could not be resolved: ‘caldav.icloud.com’ —> System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: ‘caldav.icloud.com

4:22:01 PM    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)

4:22:01 PM    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

4:22:01 PM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.RequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action`1 logBody)

4:22:01 PM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.XmlRequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action`1 logBody)

4:22:01 PM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

4:22:01 PM    — End of inner exception stack trace —

4:22:01 PM    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

4:22:01 PM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.UpdatePrincipalProperties(Uri baseUri, Boolean retryOnNotFound)

4:22:01 PM    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.BootstrapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)

4:22:01 PM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

4:22:02 PM [email protected] [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder[email protected]/

4:22:02 PM [email protected] [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done

4:22:02 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done

4:22:02 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder[email protected]/Saved

4:22:02 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done

4:22:02 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder[email protected]/Inbox

4:22:02 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done

Question: My iCloud login uses my AOL email address but that is not my iCloud email address (which I didn’t activate on eM). Would this have something to do with the errors?

Hi Paul, I am still getting the error message above however out of 10 times opening eM Client it only had the error on the 3rd and 7th time. Hope this information helps diagnosing what settings I might have wrong.

Thank you!

Hello, can you please navigate to your application settings under Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable logging for the problematic aol.com or icloud.com account? Save the settings and wait for the error to occur, once the issue reoccurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logs to us using the “Send logs” button.

Submit the logs to my email [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic and also please include the exact error that was thrown by the application.

Thank you.