Empty Local Folders after upgrade

2019-05-18 09:13

eM Client

OK, a version 6 backup won’t automatically show up.

Restore your backup1 again, then go to Menu > File > Import > eM Client 6.

Is there anything in Local Folders.

I don’t have EM6 any longer. Do I have to install it?

No, use the version you have installed, then restore your backup1. After that go to Menu > File > Import > eM Client 6.

Is there anything in Local Folders?

I did just that. But when I import I see this

Same thing if I use the current EM directory.

OK, now in the same version of eM Client, restore your May 2019 backup.

Once that is done, go to Menu > File > Import > eM Client 6. When that is done is there anything in Local Folders?

If there is, export the Local Folders, then restore backup1, and import the Local Folders you exported.

I disconnected from the Internet, restored the May 2019 backup, went to File Import EM Client 6 but I get the same error window as above.

Yeah, it is a really old version of eM Client.

Here is another option. Restore the backup1 then uninstall eM Client. Don’t delete the database directory when asked.

Download this version 6and install it. Start eM Client. you should be back to where you were a few days back before you upgraded to version 7.

I did that but when I start EM it checks the database and complains.

I think this is because you upgraded from 6 to 7 and did not import the database when prompted. Now it is most likely corrupt when going back to 6.

Your only option there is to select the restore backup option in your screenshot and restore the May 2019 data. 

I restored the 2019 data. Local folders are still empty but I see archived email in Archive.

It also shows my current mail. So what’s the catch? Should I keep using this version 6?

You can upgrade from 6 to 7, but after the 7 install you need to import the data when asked. That will transfer everything from 6 to 7.

I think I’ll keep things the way they are now, unless version 6 becomes unusable in the future?

Maybe download 7.2.35595 from the Release History and install that. It will definitely ask you if you want to import the version 6 data.

When everything is done, you can upgrade to a more recent version of 7.

I downloaded 7.2.35595 and installed it. It didn’t ask me anything about version 6 data, and now I’m back with no archive…

Then you go Menu > File > Import > eM Client 6

I get that same error window again.

I reverted to the version 6 you sent, and restored my 2019 backup.

On my Windows8 system it looks like EM version 7 refuses to import V6 data, even following your instructions. Unless there is something else to try.

Thank you for your time on this.

On version 6 do a backup using Menu > File > Backup. We’ll call this backup2.

Close eM Client and rename C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\eM Client to something else, like eM Client 2.

Restart eM Client. Now you have an empty database. Cancel any setup window and restore backup2. This will recreate C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\eM Client with only the version 6 data.

Upgrade to version 7, and import the version 6 data when prompted, or if not do it manually.