eMClient won't activate my Exchange account

Yes, I did that too, unfortunately with the same negative result.

I’ve tried each of the 2 methods several times, uninstalled and reinstalled eMClient - nothing works.

In Outlook, it took 30 seconds to create the account, using the same login and password.

A suggestion, perhaps: while creating the gmail account in eMClient, at some point I was redirected to a Google/gmail page to confirm my intention to link gmail with eMClient. Is this the same process that should be followed for Microsoft Exchange? Except that at no time was I redirected to Microsoft.

Thanks for any leads that might help me configure my mailbox -)

A suggestion, perhaps: while creating the gmail account in eMClient, at some point I was redirected to a Google/gmail page to confirm my intention to link gmail with eMClient. Is this the same process that should be followed for Microsoft Exchange?

Yes for MS Exchange accounts you normally have an OAuth window appear at that end of the automatic account wizard as per step 8 below of the eM Client Exchange documentation.

https://www.emclient.com/em-with-microsoft-exchange#

Quote:-

“Step 8”

“The OAuth window for Multi-Factor Authentication pop up to take your password instead of being stored in eM Client.
After you log in you’re all set to start using eM Client connected to your MS Exchange account”

Of course, I’ve followed this procedure exactly, and it’s at step 4 that everything stops.

During the automatic or manual process, eMClient reacts in the same way: I get the message ‘The server was found but authentication failed. Please check the email address and password’.

At no point am I redirected to Miscrosoft. No other option is proposed either, it’s a dead end…

I’d like to point out that the identifiers are correct, and that I used them to create the account in Outlook, with the same Exchange e-mail address, and in Outlook everything works fine.

During the automatic or manual process, eMClient reacts in the same way: I get the message ‘The server was found but authentication failed. Please check the email address and password

What version of eM Client are you using ?

Do you have Windows or Mac & OS ver ?

Who is your Exchange Server provider ?

Is your computer connected to a Domain ?

Is it an Exchange 365 account that has 2FA ?

• Version eMClient : 9.2.2093 (6d2fe6b)

• Windows 11

• Exchange Server provider: Magic Online (Nuxit)

• Is your computer connected to a Domain ? No

• Is it an Exchange 365 account that has 2FA ? No

Exchange Server provider: Magic Online (Nuxit)

Could possibly then be to do with the version of Exchange Server they are running.

What version of Exchange Server are they running ?

I couldn’t find out, sorry. But remember that this is the same version used for Outlook, where the same account, with the same credentials, works perfectly well.

If, in the account creation process, it is planned to link Microsoft with eMClient (as is the case for linking gmail with eMClient), perhaps the solution would be to find out how to initiate this redirection to Microsoft for confirmation?

Thanks

I couldn’t find out, sorry. But remember that this is the same version used for Outlook, where the same account, with the same credentials, works perfectly well.

Outlook though can be different in the way it authenticates to most other Mail clients and if Magic Online is using an eg: older Exchange server that might work fine with Outlook, but maybe not with eM Client.

So would need to know the version of Exchange Server they are using incase there is any known issue. Can you contact your technical support at Magic Online and ask them.

Yes, of course, I’ve opened a ticket at Magic Online - I’ll share their answer as soon as it comes in.

Hello,

I received the answer from Magic Online, here it is:

The Exchange version: this is Exchange 365.

Authentication from e-mail software should be done via a Microsoft login window in a web browser (modern authentication).

If the authentication window doesn’t open, you can also check if your EMClient software is up to date.

In your opinion, is the Exchange version up to date? I think so, because: a few days ago I reinstalled everything on a new disk, the same Windows 11, and the same mailbox. On the old disk, eMClient worked fine, including the Exchange account. So it was the same credentials and of course the same version of the Exchange server at Magic Online.

The eMClient license was obviously activated on my new disk, and validated by the system.

If this confirmation from Microsoft is necessary to finalize the process, could you tell me how to trigger it ‘manually’?

Thanks

On the old disk, eMClient worked fine, including the Exchange account. So it was the same credentials and of course the same version of the Exchange server at Magic Online.

As it authenticated ok with your old harddisk and your eM Client version is up too date, that points the problem back then “either your current browser that is not authenticating properly” or “your have some Windows Profile or Windows OS problem”.

Try setting “a different browser as the default” and then reboot and re-running the eM Client automatic wizard again or manual setup option and see if it then works. Also try clearing all your various browsers cache, forms, cookies etc like new.

Failing that, try disabling all non os background tasks on your Windows startup and reboot in case something is possibly interfering with the browser authentication Window running resident.

Failing that you may need to create a new Windows profile or even reinstall Windows.

I’ll do as you advise and come back here to share the results - thanks for your help!

Getting emClient to connect to Exchange Server drives me nuts and wastes hours.
Every time the password changes I delete the account in emClient then re-create it.
Now Microsoft have enforced 2-factor authentication it has got worse.
After 90 minutes of trial and error, and searching this forum (again) I change the my default browser to Microsoft Edge and was able to create the account using the automatic process.

When using the automatic process the e-mail entered at the start is the login for the Microsoft account (…,onmicrosoft.com), not my e-mail address.

As KrisBieg and others have noted other e-mail clients other than emClient don’t have such grief with Exchange Server.

@Simon9

When using the automatic process the e-mail entered at the start is the login for the Microsoft account (…,onmicrosoft.com), not my e-mail address.

That is very strange you couldn’t just enter your normal email address at the start of the eM Client wizard setup.

Do you also have to do that same non email address when setting up your exchange account with other mail clients ?

Or is it only eM Client where you had to do that.

Configuring Exchange in eMClient is a gigantic waste of time.

In addition to what I’ve already done (several days trying everything), I followed cyberzork latest advice:

• change the default browser (Edge, then Chrome),

• clear the cache,

• allow redirects and pop-ups,

• stop background processes…

…nothing works.

In fact, I’m not sure it was the right way to go, as the redirection was done correctly to link the gmail account with eMClient.

If anyone can give me some effective advice, I would be very grateful!

Otherwise, my experience with eMClient will unfortunately stop here, I’m going to ask for a refund and buy another application, because eMClient is obviously inappropriate for working with Exchange.

@KrisBieg

As nothing has worked for you and you purchased eM Client Pro you have VIP Support.

You receive a 1-year VIP Support subscription when you purchase eM Client Pro. With this subscription you get access to the online support center, where you can send in your issue reports or questions and a support engineer will be assigned to assist you.

So go to the Support page in the link above and login at the top left and lodge a support request ticket.

OK, I’ll open the ticket, thanks cyberzork. I hope the solution can be found, then I can share it here.
Have a nice day

Only emClient requires .onmicrosoft address to start

@Simon9

Only emClient requires .onmicrosoft address to start.

Ok interesting. Thanks for that info. I hadn’t heard of an onmicrosoft account before.

I see the onmicrosoft.com account is a domain name that Microsoft creates for a company or school that signs up for an Office 365 for Business subscription.

onmicrosoft… Yes it is. It forms the login name for the Microsoft account, for 365 and for exchange server, but it is not my e-mail address.

1 Like