eMclient tags menu item very slow (with ~300 tags)

I just updated To eMclient 9.0 .1708 (2cfb4a5)
which is far as I can tell is the latest official release

• at least is what I was offered just now

the problem is NOT fixed.

it might be a little bit faster: I just now time that five seconds, rather than the 12 seconds previously reported and the 15 seconds that I have occasionally observed. It’s almost fast enough to be tolerable, but five seconds nevertheless seems excessive, especially compared to how fast it is when I boot in safe mode

I suspect then that it will be your eg: cpu / ram / ssd drive / graphics speed / internet IMAP connection speed etc reading the more menu and not eM Client related as its not taking 5 seconds or more for me or anyone i know using that same offical release.

I have 100’s of Tag menus that popout on that same more menu with the same eM Client release version using a PC with an i7 CPU, 8GB ram, 8GB Video Card, Evo SSD drive & a 50MBPS NBN connection with Windows 10 and 11 and only take 1-2 secs now with the latest offical release.

BRIEF: My system is a reasonably powerful convertible laptop system. Considerably
better configured than what you report.

The biggest weaknesses in my system performance are (1) network latencies - not bandwidth, I’m pretty high there, but BufferBloat, and even when unloaded hyping latencies. (2) SSD quite full, only 70GB free on 1TB drive.

Q: does eMclient use a lot of temporary disk space on SSD?

(BTW, is eMclient using any reasonably well-known database behind the scenes like SQLlite? Databases are notorious for not being well tuned on SSDs, and for that matter in general.)

Q: is eMclient particularly sensitive to BufferBloat or other network round trip latencies? I cannot think of any reason that it should be more sensitive than other IMAP code, but I might as well ask.

DETAIL:

Microsoft Surface Book 3 15".

CPU: Intel Core i7- 1065 G7 @ 1.30 GHz, Four cores, eight logical processors. Core Temp 1.16 reports 3791 3791.64 MHz (99.78x35), varying as usual but reasonably unloaded.

32G RAM.

1TB SSD … I have benchmark results somewhere, but anyway pretty good for a portable but not a gaming laptop. The red flag here is that I only have 70 GB free of the 952 GB total - my previous laptop was 2 TB but I could not get a 2 TB disk during COVID. Ditto “only” 32 GB of DRAM.

Q: does eMclient use a lot of temporary disk space on SSD?

Graphics: Unlikely to be a problem: Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design. I purchased this PC model largely to get the GPU, which I use not for graphics but for noise filtering.

Networks: 699.1 Mb per second down, 40 Mb per second up. however my BufferBloat grade is C. I have a BufferBloat aware router, but because I am usually not sensitive to BufferBloat, I am usually not using applications that are latency sensitive in that way, I have bypassed that to get higher overall speed (my BufferBloat router is only 100 Mb per second, not gigabit).

Q: is eMclient particularly sensitive to BufferBloat latencies

Tags are already loaded in memory long before you open the tags context menu. That means there are no network calls or disk reads or anything like that to be done. So when you click More in the tags menu, as all items were already previously loaded and sorted, all that’s left to do at that point is to perform layout and draw operations.

The observation that this performs well under safe mode strongly suggests that some 3rd party app is to blame for the delay, and not eM Client.