eMClient sync problem with ver 9.0.1361 (647eeb3)

Since updating to version 9.0.1361 (647eeb3) I am having problems downloading my email from gmail(POP). My settings are

Host pop.gmail.com
Port:110
Security: Force usage of SSL/TLS.

I have tried all 4 security policy options.

I am getting the following error.

“Connection failed
An attempt to connect to
[email protected] failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Please check the settings or click on the warning symbol to try connecting again.”

This worked fine under the previous version although I may have used different security settings. I have been switching them to troubleshoot issues.

Nat

Google are discontinuing their less secure app setting which is what you need to have enabled in your Google Security settings to use POP3.

You will need to add the account again using the automatic setup, which will use IMAP, then move the messages from the POP3 folders to the IMAP folders before removing the POP3 account from eM Client.

Please see our blog article on the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

I set up a new account, transferred my old emails to the new account, and deleted the old account, I am still not getting it to sync. Just get the spinning double arrow by the “Refresh” button. Here are my account screens

I set up a new account, transferred my old emails to the new account, and deleted the old account, I am still not getting it to sync. Just get the spinning double arrow by the “Refresh” button. Here are my account screens

As long as you setup your Gmail IMAP account via the automatic email wizard and allowed access to your Gmail / Google acct via the browser near the end of the wizard, then you normally shouldn’t be getting just a spinning arrow and nothing synching.

Sometimes other programs running on your computer can interfere with mail clients trying to receive / send mail from the remote servers and could be causing this.

So if you have any eg: Optionally installed Firewall / Security programs, Optional Antivirus Scanning programs, Optional Malware programs or VPNs etc other than the default security software that comes with your OS, then for a test disable any of those optionally installed programs if you have them and reboot and see if eM Client then works ok.

Again, thanks for your input. I went through the process and I think I was successful this time. Now I think I am dealing with the differences between IMAP and POP. I still am not downloading current emails into my eMclient. I opened up “operations” and it appears to be uploading items to folder /AllMail. but it has been doing that for about 24 hours. Hopefully, that is a one-time thing because I had lots of emails saved in eMclient???

The initial sync will take some time, and this is also affected by bandwidth throttling from Google. With Google Workspace accounts that is 2.5GB download and 0.5GB upload for IMAP per day. So once you reach that limit, the sync will stop until the next day, and then continue.

1 Like

Thanks. I really appreciate the support here.

I think this delay is why I stayed away from IMAP and went to POP,. Probably would be smoother on a new account without a bunch of preexisting emails.

Thanks again for all the help.

1 Like

I think this delay is why I stayed away from IMAP and went to POP,

Once your Gmail is all synced locally in eM Client, it usually syncs really fast as you are only then synching generally new inbox mail unless you are dragging or copying alot of new mail regularly each day to other Gmail labels (folders) etc.

Initially when I added my own Gmail personal account and other business friends Gmail domain workspace accounts, they took a couple of days or so to fully synch due to we have “miles of labels and sub labels”, but after that new emails sync for us in around 10 secs no matter what comes in, and where we put them in the Gmail system.

So all depends on how many labels (folders) etc you have and the type of emails that are in currently in your Gmail cloud mailbox. Eg: If you have alot of inline very high-res images, they will take longer to initially sync locally in eM Client.

You are generally better with IMAP in my opinion as your email are then allways in the cloud for all of your devices to access so you can see and send and receive the same email on all devices too.