eMClient not shutting down fully

I have been using eMClient for years now having migrated from Thunderbird.
In the last week or two, when I try to shut down my PC (having already closed all open programmes including eMClient) I get a Windows message saying it cannot close because eMClient is still open. No programmes are open on screen.
I go into Task Manager and I find that eMClient (32bit) is still lurking in the Background processes. I can oinly shut down the PC after I have taken out the background process with End Task.
But next time I boot up the PC anď try to start eMClient I get a message that it wasn’t closed down properly last time, and I have to wait for ages while it “Checks for corrupted database”. This takes a very long time presumably becasue I use about 6 or 7 email accounts.
I am using Windows 10 (64bit) and the very latest eMVlient upgrade.
How can I get eMClient to close down completely before shutting down the PC?

You might possibly have accidentally enabled “minimize to tray” or “close to tray” which could be the problem and eM Client is still running.

Go to “Menu / Settings / General” and see if you have either check box enabled. If either one is enabled, disable them and save the settings.

Now If you have neither box enabled, then try uninstalling eM Client and “don’t delete the database” when asked on the uninstall wizard. Then re-download the same or later version of eM Client from the release history page & reinstall and see if that fixes it. I would also reboot after reinstalling eM Client.

Note: If you do uninstall eM Client (before uninstalling), backup first via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when the backup is complete via “Menu / Show Operations”.

Now if none of the above makes any difference, that usually means you have some other non OS background task running on startup which is interfering with eM Client shutting down 100%.

So you would then eg: temporarily disable all non OS user background tasks on startup to test and reboot to see if eM Client and Windows will then shutdown ok. If it then does, you would enable those background tasks one at a time and reboot inbetween till you find what’s interfering.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Strangely, it seems to have sorted itself out. I checked the “minimize to tray” etc and they were unticked. I was just aboiut to unistall and try your next suggestion when I was interrupted and never got it done. But then I found that the problem had magically disappeared, after at least 2 weeks of daily frustration.
Let’s hope it stays away but I have youir advice in case of further difficulties. Thank you.