Emclient gets stuck a lot for short periods

Hi,

Switching mailboxes or mailitems in 1 mailbox, I have to wait ± 10 seconds.

This was not an issue in EmClient 7. Just upgraded to current version 9 and the issue is visible

I do have a lot of emails in my mailboxes but this was not an issue in EmClient7. I installed Emclient 7 years ago because of performance issues in Outlook(probably also due to the many mails). Maybe some feature that cannot handle a lot of mails in mailboxes?

I also tried enabling local download of everything, but no effect.

Just downgraded to EmClient7. It reacts super fast again.

Switching mailboxes or mail items in 1 mailbox, I have to wait ± 10 seconds

When you say switching mailboxes, what do you mean by that ?

Are you saying eg: If you have more than one account configured in eM Client and click between the account Inboxes or account folders it takes 10 secs before any mail reads ?

If that is the case and you have the latest version of eM Client then that would just be either eg: “Your mail accounts & messages have not fully synced yet” in eM Client V9 and you need to wait longer initially till fully synced, or just “local computer speed” and just not keeping up reading. .

I can personally switch between eg: 3 IMAP & 1 exchange account Inboxes and account folders with large mail databases within a second using the Windows or Mac latest V9 of eM Client.

What version of eM Client 9 did you try ?, and do you have Windows or Mac and what OS version.

I mean clicking on another mailbox. But it does not really matter I think. Clicking between mails in 1 mailbox also gives random delays of 10 seconds.

  • All mails were fully synced
  • Computer speed should be sufficient. DELL XPS with i5-12500H, 32GB ram, Intel Iris Xe. Also EmClient 7 runs it like a charm.
  • Windows 11
  • I have the latest version. Downloaded emclient-v9.0.1708.msi from website couple of days ago but didn’t execute any update (so if website download button is latest it was the latest)

Will try the same on another pc to see if the same issue occurs. And profile the application with dottrace. Maybe I can supply better info then.

I was not able to reproduce the problem on another Laptop so it made me investigate a bit more in the current Laptop. It seems outdated display drivers of the intel iris xe were the cause (which did not affect older version of EmClient)