emClient crashes after checking for new email, and cannot recover

After I opened the application, the emClient did not check automatically for new messages, so I selected the option to send and receive, and I got a message that the emClient needed to close. After it closed and I reopened it, the emClient checked the database consistency, and I got this error:

eM Client (6.0.22344.0)Windows: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1, Framework: 4.0.30319.18444
The following error has occurred:
System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x80004005): SQL logic error or missing database
no such table: mail_fti.SubjectIndex
   en System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare(SQLiteConnection cnn, String strSql, SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, String& strRemain)
   en System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand()
   en System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.GetStatement(Int32 index)
   en System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
   en System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader…ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
   en System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   en System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteScalar()
   en MailClient.Storage.Data.SQLite.DbMailRepository.Store(IMailRepositoryItem mail)
   en MailClient.Storage.Data.SQLite.DbRepository1.Add[ST](Object senderContext, IEnumerable1 items, Action1 storeCallback)    en MailClient.Storage.Data.SQLite.DbRepository1.Add[ST](Object senderContext, IEnumerable1 items)    en MailClient.Storage.Application.ItemCollection2.AddRange(IEnumerable1 items)    en MailClient.Accounts.MailAccount.ReceiveCommand.receiveAccount\_receivedItem(Object sender, ItemEventArgs1 items)
   en MailClient.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
   en MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
   en MailClient.Commands.SynchronizationQueue.ThreadWorker(Object threadData)
   en System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   en System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   en System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   en System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   en System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

After doing this twice, the emClient won’t reopen. I am testing the emClient, because I had many problems with Thunderbird, because it loses message contents or deletes the contents of whole folders for no apparent reason. I am looking for a robust application, and till now emClient seemed to be the solution. Please help.

Hello, unfortunately it seems like your database is corrupt and is no longer accessible for eM Client, please try to run this database repair tool http://www.emclient.com/tools/dbrepairrebuildall.exe and check if the issue persists or if the tool finishes the db check with issues.

If the tool is unsuccessful I’m afraid, you’ll be force to create a new database in order to restore from a backup or to setup your accounts again, to create a new database navigate to your local user/AppData/Roaming/ folder and remove or rename the current eM Client database folder.

Regards,

Thank you, Paul. Unfortunately the repair tool did not work. I am really worried, because this is important information, and I am constantly losing it, first with Thunderbird (though I only lost parts of it), and now also with emClient (which made me lose EVERYTHING!). What could be the matter? Could it be that my files and folders contain too much information and are too large? I was quite happy using emClient, till now. I liked it very much, and you provide an impeccable customer service, even for the free options, but I really can’t be starting all over from zero, every 2-3 weeks. I don’t mind paying for the application, as long as it is robust. That should be a priority, and yet… 

Hello Eugenia, unfortunately I’m not quite sure what might have caused this error, what you’ve submitted only suggest some of the data are no longer accessible for the application, this can occasionally occur when the application is not closed properly or during hard computer reset, when again the application is unable to close properly. However in most cases like this, the database repair tool should resolve the minor corruption.

If the error persists, the database can not be repaired, not often, but sometimes this could also be caused by a mail server sending invalid or corrupt data to the client over your POP/IMAP protocol when synchronising your items. If similar issues have occurred with your Thunderbird installation, it might as well be the case.

Regards,

Thank you for your prompt reply, Paul. I really appreciate the excellent service you provide. We use Yahoo’s small business mail services. Do you think it likely that they would send invalid/corrupt data so frequently as to cause these problems that are happening so often? I know that they are not as solid now as they used to be. As for the application not closing properly, the truth is, that even after so many versions, Microsoft still cannot manage to have a REALLY solid operating system. From time to time, the computer crashes due to this. When this happens, I lose, of course, the unsaved information I was working on, but the old/saved info is save. This is what I find so frustrating both with Thunderbird and emClient: the old info is constantly at risk, when something unexpected happens. I wonder if you have a tool, or some sort of suggestion, to file safely old data, while still being able to easily access it, as a protection against both issues you mention. It is not so bad to lose one day’s work, as losing everything. I don’t like this “all-or-nothing” situation. It is too risky, and e-mail clients are designed apparently, without considering this. Thanks again for the support you have been providing.

eM Client has a built-in backup tool that you can use to keep a safe backup of your data, however if you’re using an IMAP connection with the server, all your data should be synchronised with the server and keep a safe remote copy on Yahoo’s servers.

This should allow you re-setup the account at anytime with eM Client and the application should just re-download all the available items from the server. 

Regards,