Emails to myself go to Junk

Any time I email myself it is now going into the junk folder. I have a gmail account and tested it on their site to see if it happens on their end. It does not. If I send myself an email from google/gmail site it goes into my inbox. If I send it via eM Client it goes to junk.

lunes 20 septiembre 2021 :: 1720hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @pat_meaney

You cannot compare mail that is sent to yourself directly from Gmail using Webmail with that which is sent to yourself from an email client, in this case eMC.
The mail that is sent from eMC arrives at the Gmail server using SMTP, it is at this point that Gmail considers mail that has the same sender & recipient address to be suspicious and marks it as SPAM.
Sending as Webmail by passes this process.
eMC does not have SPAM filters and reacts to the information that is in the email header determining that the email is SPAM and as such sends it to JUNK.
The easiest thing to do is to use Webmail to change the messages that you send to yourself as NOT SPAM, Gmail will remember this and should send mail to you as you require.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

Ok, thank you for your reply. I just did it for about three emails. Used the -Report not spam- It’s still doing it, but I would think I might have to do it many more times before it begins to remember? Hopefully gmail will remember that it is not junk. I have always sent myself email and never had a problem until last week. I might also note that my husband sent me an email that went to junk too - he has same last name in his email. Not sure if that is relevant.

The only email em client marks as junk are emails the server marked as junk or spam. So if the problem is on the client side, not gmail, then the problem is a rule you (or your husband setup. Try turning off the rule Blacklist by unchecking it. See if the problem remains. If it goes away, then some rule in blacklist is blacklisting items sent from your account.

That was it!!! Thank you. I turned off Blacklist and sent myself an email and it finally landed in my inbox instead of in junk. But by unchecking Blacklist in the rule section, does this mean I can’t blacklist any email that I feel is spam anymore?

Not at all. But, you’ll need to go through all the blacklist rules and figure out which one is causing your problem. For example, did you blacklist by domain someone at .gmai.com ? That’ll send lots of people to junk! the thing is, the move to junk / blacklist by domain is very powerful and can get you if you aren’t very careful.

It is simply that some rule that you accidentally created, is screwing you up. So you need to find that particular rule, delete it, and then be careful in the future. Perhaps a spammer sent you an email claiming to be you and you blacklisted them, but, the address is you.

When this thing happened to me, I had to go through a hundred rules because a friend was being blacklisted and I couldn’t figure out why. Now I’m very careful.

Oh gosh, I bet you I did. I just started using that blacklisting tool not too long ago because I noticed a lot of junk coming into my inbox. I am really clueless regarding that tool. Could you please tell me how I get to the rules. The only thing I know to go to was Menu/Rules and all I see there are two choices: Spam filter and Blacklist - this is where I unchecked blacklist
Is there another place I should be looking to see the blacklisted tools?

miércoles 22 septiembre 2021 :: 1402hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @pat_meaney

You are in the right place, to edit the content of either Blacklist or Spam
simply highlight the particular rule and then click EDIT in the header, after
that it is just a matter of deleting or keeping entries.

The Blacklist & Spam rules should be at the top of the list of rules if not move
them using the up arrow in the header; Blacklist should be first.

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Thank you sooooo much! Ok, I am such a dumb-arse. I blacklisted gmail…com. Who knows how many emails I have missed as a result of this. Maybe it is better to just blacklist emails, and not domains? I had no idea I was even doing that.

miércoles 22 septiembre 2021 :: 1541hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @pat_meaney

You should not be so hard on yourself, you did ask! Many don’t and simply blame eMC.
(A bad workman blames his tools)
Yes be careful if you block domains though there are some that you can, just watch what you do and if you are not sure stick with the full email address.

Skybat
[email protected]

Many thanks to skybat and steveshank for all your help! Much appreciated!