Email frequently slow, sometimes hangs

I’ve been using emClient for a few months now and have various problems with the email. I can use it for a day or two and then it starts hanging now and then when I take any action (selecting an email to read, deleting an email, etc). I’ll get a warning that the operation can take some time and have to wait a few minutes. Then when I click the next message I’ll frequently get the same delay (although not always) and then I’m stuck with that delay on every action. Closing emClient and restarting helps (note: I rarely reboot my machine or close the applications). On a separate note, sometimes I’ll notice the icon next to the mailbox name in the left side bar spinning and when that happens sometimes I’ll notice the count on my inbox or trash really low and slowly climbing as if it’s rebuilding its database of messages. This happens less often than the other problem of general slowness though, so I don’t know if they’re related. I like emClient and want to stick with it but the slowness problem that keeps cropping up is very frustrating. I have had the “download messages for offline use” option set ever since I started using emClient. I am using version 6.0.20489.0. Anyone have any ideas what’s causing this?

Hi Nicole, can you please download and run this tool http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe while the application is stuck, the “this operation may take a while” shows up?
The best would be probably putting it on the task bar and click on it when it appears.

The tool will generate a dump file, can you please send me this file to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Nicole,

from your message: “I rarely reboot my machine or close the applications”

How much RAM do you have in your computer?

I would not be surprised if you get those ‘this operation can take some time’ messages in eM Client when the .NET framework is busy with a ‘garbage collection’ freeing up memory.

Hmm - interesting suggestions Hans. I have 4GB RAM. I do check my memory when this is happening but it doesn’t seem to be anywhere close to maxed out when it happens. But I don’t know - perhaps the garbage collection is happening regardless?

Paul - I’ve downloaded the file and will run it next time I have problems. Thanks!

Hi again Nicole, sorry for my belated reply, one thing you could try is to download this tool (http://www.emclient.com/tools/dbrepairrebuildall.exe), and let the database rebuild itself, which might help speeding things up.

Hope it helps,
Paul.