Email download problems

sábado 21 agosto 2021 :: 1524hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @Mailit2me

The easiest thing to do is to create a folder within webmail and move all emails there.
You say you have hoarded a lot of emails and attempting to move them to your PC
might be a long process dependant upon your connection speed.

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat

[email protected]

@MailIt2me

I have Windows 10 Home 64bit on my laptop, which comes packaged with their Mail client. I couldn’t get this to send/receive an email, despite going through all the settings with my ISP

As the Windows Mail client and eM Client mailer won’t work (with your correct ISP mail settings) as you have advised, then sounds like you have a Windows “background program” blocking or interfering with the mail clients. As even the built in Win 10 mail should work fine & doesn’t as u say.

The Windows defender / security program doesn’t block mail clients, it will be something else.

As @skybat queried, do you have any other (optional) Firewalls, Security programs, Antivirus programs, VPNs etc ?

Hello Cyberzork and thank you for your post.

All I have on my laptop is Windows Defender so I’ve no additional firewalls, security programs, antivirus programs, or VPNs.

I’ve worked through the webmail workaround that you suggested and moved August, July, and June to an archive folder in webmail but unfortunately, it hasn’t been unblocked. I might try to move all of my webmail to another folder at the first attempt the server timed out and would not transfer them (There are a lot of them!)

I’ve approached my ISP, PlusNet on this issue but they say that they do not support advice on third-party email clients. My webmail continues to work so unfortunately, it looks like I am stuck with that on my laptop and not an eM Client app.

How can I start to check whether I have a Windows 10 background program blocking things, please?

How can I start to check whether I have a Windows 10 background program blocking things, please?

To see your startup background programs in Windows, “Right click” on the “Task Bar” at the bottom of Windows and then click “Task Manager”. Then click the “Startup” tab along the top.

You can then “Right click” on any of those startup items and Disable or Enable each item.

Note:- If you disable any of the items in the startup, “reboot after disabling” and test eM Client again to see if that disabled item was the cause of the issue.

Thanks for your message. Here are the outcomes.

Startup had the following listed:

• Alps pointing device driver. I decided not to disable this one as it looks like software for my laptop touch-pad.
  • Anydesk (Screen sharing software). I disabled this but no new eMC download.
  • Cortana. I didn’t disable this as I assumed it was safe MS software. Also, I didn’t try any of the MS app listings (Delayed launcher, Windows security notification).
  • I did try disabling MS OneNote but no new iMC download.
  • I didn’t try any of the ones from Intel assuming these were connected to my CPU. (Delayed launcher and Picon startup utility).
  • I disabled Skype but no new eMC download.

Alas, I still can’t get eMC to download from my ISPserver/webmail.

Any ideas?

Should have said, I’ve been using the ‘Diagnostics’ and ‘Fix’ facility in my account settings to make sure the settings were OK. I got green ticks for both IMAP and SMTP. eMC wasn’t giving me a tick for the IMAP server until it had changed the setting to require authentication.

lunes 30 agosto 2021 :: 1422hrs (UTC +01:00)

Qué tal @Mailit2me

Please confirm you have:
Windows 10 Home
AND NOT
Windows 10 Home in S Mode

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo principalmente español, portugués e inglés, también un conocimiento práctico de varios otros.

Hi there, yes I am running Windows 10 Home 64bit and I am not using Safe Mode.

martes 31 agosto 2021 :: 1140hrs (UTC +01:00)

Qué tal @Mailit2me

Thanks, I was hoping you were in S Mode.
Did you download eMC from the official site?

I know you say your Window 10 updates automatically, however, it sometimes needs some extra help;

Please do the following (it will NOT break your computer)
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++
COPY & PASTE as spelling/spacing is important

Open Command Prompt in Admin mode:

Copy & Paste and run:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

then when the above has finished:

Copy & Paste and run:

sfc /scannow

They are both Microsoft utilities that can check/repair your system.
Missing or corrupt files will be replaced - could be the reason eMC won’t email.
You must be connected to the internet when carrying out these procedures.
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo principalmente español, portugués e inglés, también un conocimiento práctico de varios otros.

Hello there and thanks for your message.

Should I be running in Safe Mode to check these things?

Yes, my download came from the eMC website. I can try deleting it and reinstalling it?

I have checked for Windows updates and found one waiting and one optional and I have downloaded both of them.

I have run DISM and sfc /scannow and both were completed successfully.

Still no download of email though.

In eMC settings there is a “Diagnostics” tab, which I have been using. It gives a green tick or a red one. I am assuming that a green means that the settings that I put in are either working or not? I have tried settings that result in both green ticks and red ticks but unfortunately, no email download.

lunes 06 septiembre 2021 :: 1432hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @Mailit2me

This morning I spoke with a client in Edinburgh and he also had a bad experience with PlusNet
as their ISP, and they also use eMC.
He says that PlusNet is a subsidiary of British Telecom. When they changed their ISP to
British Telecom all their issues went immediately. They now also have a 1Gb connection and
a lot of guarantees. British Telecom also have UK based support call centers.
Perhaps you should give them a call, I do not know what sort of contract terms you have
in the UK with ISP companies, here it is easy because we have roaming agreements.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!

Skybat
[email protected]