eM Clients does not shut down properly

eM Client Version 3.5.12280.0
OS Windows 7 64

Whilst this problem has been reported elsewhere all problems are old not related to the current version that I can find.

eM client checks database after startup. This did not happen with the previous version.

Action taken.

1. Complete removal of eM Client and it’s related database and files. Then reinstall. This led to no improvement.

Today database check failed with the following report…

System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: Some kind of disk I/O error occurred
disk I/O error (main/17)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Reset(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Step(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader…ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Open()
at DbRepair.DbTools.OpenConnection(String fileName)
at DbRepair.Form1.CheckCorruption()
at DbRepair.Form1.Check(Object state)

This is extremely frustrating as I have had to remove the database and start again with the problem likely to recur as it still checks the DB on startup.

Robert

So you start a new database and immediately it gives you the same error? I can’t really think of anything. Please run a scandisk utility to check the drive, or move the database to another drive or flash drive just to eliminate the possible problem.

Yes all checks have been made. One point I did not mention was that if I close eM Client it is still running in Processes this prevents it opening again.

The previous version had no problems at all and I regret ever updating it.

As a temporary measure I have had to bring back Thunderbird but I am not that happy with that client compared to eM Client.

Robert…

It seems eM has yet to found the root of the problem regarding process doesn’t close when exit. Here’s an older version: http://www.emclient.com/dist/v3.5.118…

Thanks for that download and it does seem to be a lot better but does mainly remain open. To help you locate the problem in code here is what I did on version 3.5.11809.0
Set “Close Application to Tray” to try and force it to close. Generally only minimizes but on one occasion actually closed.
Rebooted X 14 2 times DB was checked. Previous was every time.

I am running regular backups on the DB so in future if it corrupts beyond repair I will load the backup.

Thanks for all your help I will be watching the development further. It is a great program.

Robert…

Personally I think this is .NET and PC related. But everyone is having different scenario with different version. If you want, this is the latest beta: http://www.emclient.com/dist/v3.5.124…

Thanks I have D/L it but will just hang on to it. Yes you are probably right with the .NET and the PC I was thinking about the latter myself. All sorts of hardware is expected to work. It’s where Apple has a big advantage but I cannot afford and iMac.

Many years ago I would write some uts in Pascal and all would work fine except someone would have a bug that only affected him.The machines and OS is far more complex now.

Robert…