eM Client will Receive, but will not Send; happening on 2 PCs

I have eM Client installed (for almost one year) on my Windows XP laptop and my wife’s Windows 7 desktop.  Yesterday, on BOTH computers, eM Client quit Sending, but it will Receive messages.  This is happening on both computers and began on the same day.  My Internet provider is AT&T.  I just finished maybe a 2-hour tech support session with AT&T, including letting the tech support person remotely control my laptop to check all kinds of possibilities.  He got absolutely nowhere.  So I’m wondering what’s wrong and how the problem could begin on two PCs on the same day.   I wondered if maybe it was a problem with the AT&T server, but the tech support person apparently didn’t think so.  He wondered if eM Client had become corrupted, but what are the chances of the app becoming corrupted on two PCs on the same day?  Is there any malware attack on eM Client going on?  I’m using eM Client Version 6.0.21372.0 on my laptop and Version 6.0.20648.0 on wife’s desktop.  Thanks in advance for the developers’/community’s help.

Hi Keith, there’s currently no malware attack on eM Client, and even if there was one, eM Client is a standalone application, that is running on your computer, the only remote server of ours is our licensing server that is used to check if your license is valid etc.

If the receiving has stopped on both computers on the same day, it would most likely point out to a server issue, are there any errors thrown by the application?

If so, can you please make a screenshot of the error and when it occurs, switch to the log tab, copy the content of the log and submit it both with the screenshot to us here on the forum…

Thank you,
Paul

Paul,
Many thanks for the prompt response.  I’m just now able to reply.  And you get a bonus!  Because now I cannot Receive or Send.  (Perhaps my helpful AT&T tech support guy last night, who was using Remote Control functionality to directly work on my PC, changed the POP3 settings.)  FWIW, my wife’s PC can still Receive but still cannot Send.  The AT&T support session last night was on my PC.  Her PC remains untouched.

So I’m attaching two screenshots, one of the SMTP failure and one of the POP3 failure with related log contents for each.

SMTP Failure log:
8:33:47 PM Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability
8:34:17 PM [email protected] [SMTP]  Connecting: To [email protected]
8:34:48 PM [email protected] [SMTP]  MailExceptions.SocketException: Connect failed with reason:
8:34:48 PM     “Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.”
8:34:48 PM    at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
8:34:48 PM    at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:34:48 PM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

POP3 Failure log:
8:36:31 PM [email protected] [POP3]  Connecting: To [email protected]
8:37:02 PM [email protected] [POP3]  MailExceptions.SocketException: Connect failed with reason:
8:37:02 PM     “Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.”
8:37:02 PM    at MailClient.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:02 PM    at MailClient.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:02 PM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Again, many thanks for your help.

Keith

Hi again Keith, these errors that are showing in the log would seem to suggest there’s either a settings issue with the application, e.g. the account settings are currently incorrect, or there’s a firewall or some other security software installed on your computer that may have disabled the application’s ability to connect to your mail server.

Please navigate to Tools > Accounts > Your account and make a screenshot of your account settings from the POP and SMTP tab that contain information about your ports and security policies.

Also please make sure to check the server settings with these and make sure they match what’s setup in the application: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570&cv=804&_requestid=295837 as this is the official AT&T guide on how to setup an email client.

Regards,
Paul

[UPDATE posted after message appearing below:   I just now changed the email account settings on my PC to match the settings on my wife’s PC – and now I have full Receive and Send functionality restored.  My settings had been modified a bit by an AT&T Support Tech using Remote Control functionality the other night.  Yesterday, my wife’s PC suddenly regained the ability to Send; her PC’s settings had not been modified at all throughout all of this.  Until someone provides a more plausible explanation, I’m thinking the problem was with AT&T’s servers/service.  Which is to say, there appears to have been no problem with the eM Client application … and I’m sorry to have taken up your time.  I do appreciate your efforts and your promptness.  End of UPDATE.   (Read on, if you want the rest of the back-story, however.)]

Paul,

Thanks.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  Attached are the two screenshots of the POP and SMTP tabs in the Accounts dialog window.

As to your comment on server settings: For as long as I can remember, our AT&T email account settings have used SMTP Host of smtp.att.yahoo.com and POP3 Host of pop.att.yahoo.com… and that is what I’ve been using.  I realize the AT&T Support page you referenced says to use inbound.att.net / Port 995 for POP and outbound.att.net / Port 465 for SMTP.  I even asked the AT&T Tech Support guy the other night about the Yahoo servers (I had wondered about “Why Yahoo servers?”) and he said that was correct - AT&T used Yahoo servers.

I look forward to any further assistance you can provide.

In the meantime, yesterday the plot thickened because suddenly and for no apparent reason my wife was able to Send email again.  The ability to Send had stopped for no apparent reason and it resumed for no apparent reason.  I’m going to be adjusting the Account settings on my PC - to replicate the settings on her PC and see if that helps restore my service.  Weird.

Makes me wonder again if the problem isn’t with AT&T’s email servers.

========

Backing up to clarify another point that may need clarification.  In my original post, when I asked “Is there any malware attack on eM Client going on?”, I wasn’t suggesting a malware attack on the eM Client company server(s), but malware attacking the standalone eM Client application as it resided in my two computers.  Your initial response indicated I might be talking about servers at your company.  Not at all.

Given that, the AT&T tech support guy planted that idea in my mind.  Excerpt from the transcript of our support session:

AT&T Tech:   It is possible that your em client may have been corrupted. Webmail is working fine. You can use it in sending email and notifications.

Me:   If em client is corrupted, what are the chances it would show up on the same day in two PCs in my house? 

AT&T Tech:   They are the same software and the malware may have been detected same software.

So the idea seemed plausible of malware on my home LAN affecting the eM Client app installed on both of my PCs.  However, as a follow-on thought now, since my wife’s PC has regained the ability to Send (as well as Receive) - with no adjustments being made to her mail account settings - the idea of malware seems NOT plausible.

All of that, FWIW.

Thanks again.

Keith

Hi, I glad it works, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Regards,
Paul