eM Client version 8.1.876 (234bb7a) SmptSendCommand failure

Incoming messages are not affected, but I am unable to send. The problem began while I was using v.7 and has continued since I installed v.8 three days ago. My VPN bypasses edMail Client, but I have disconnected to confirm that – the problem continues. There follows the text of the process from the Operation Log.

Assistance appreciated,
Daniel Roth

2:27:02 PM [email protected] [SMTP] MailClient.Accounts.SocketException: Connection failed due to the following reason:
“The requested address is not valid in its context. 52.96.182.98:587”
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
EnqueuedStackTrace =
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.SendAsync(IEnumerable1 items, Action1 sentItem, Action`1 completed, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.SendInternal()
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.Send()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAllInternal()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAndReceiveAll()
at MailClient.UI.Forms.formMain.sendReceiveAll()
at MailClient.UI.Forms.formMain.stripButton_Refresh_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at MailClient.Common.UI.Controls.ControlToolStrip.ControlToolStripButton.PerformClick()
at MailClient.Common.UI.Controls.ControlToolStrip.ControlToolStripButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at MailClient.Common.UI.Controls.AutomationViewUserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
at MailClient.Program.<>c.b__167_1()
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor, Boolean wrapExceptions)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at MailClient.Common.UI.Forms.BaseForm.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at Xilium.CefGlue.Interop.libcef.run_message_loop()
at MailClient.Program.Main(String[] args)

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software?

I had not disabled antivirus. I have now. The culprit is Avast’s Mail Shield. Mail sent from the Windows Mail and Calendar app, also on my desktop PC, is not affected. Thanks for both your suggestion and your prompt response. Problem not solved, but resolved. I dunno how Mail Shield works, but am optimistic that in a future iteration of either Avast Free or EmClient the problem will vanish. Thank you again for making the present day situation workable.

This was posted to Announcements back in July, by eMC support:

“To those (Avast antivirus users) who are experiencing the issue with Gmail when eM Client can’t connect to the IMAP server - please disable the Avast Mail Shield or grant an exception to the eM Client app in Avast settings. Avast antivirus is blocking the connection to the server and this will allow you connect to your Gmail server again.”

Thank you for the followup, sorry not to have spotted that earlier. Checkiing the settings in Avast, I find that while I can select eMClient as an Allowed App, the Mail Shield is not one of the Avast functions that may be allowed.

I can suggest that you install and run Windows Defender.

Again, thank you – I like feeling watched-out for. Windows Defender is installed, but not active. I accepted informed opinions that the Avast program was more robust and protected against a greater number of threats. If this continues to be the case, I’ll simply disconnect Avast Mail Shield when I want to send an email. I’m not a prolific sender, so it should be a minor annoyance – and way less annoying than not being able to send at all!