eM Client on macOS crashes directly on start when connected to Exchange 2013

When trying to open eM Client it crashes after about 1 or 2 seconds. I suspect that I have one malformed mail in my inbox. Any idea what to do?

Error:

eM Client 7.2.33438.0 Unix 18.0.0.0 4.0.50524.0 System.Exception Could not initialize an instance of the type 'Foundation.NSUrl': the native 'initWithString:' method returned nil. It is possible to ignore this condition by setting ObjCRuntime.Class.ThrowOnInitFailure to false.

Hello Christoffer,
could you perhaps copy the whole error message or crash report when this happens? Or, if it was the whole message, would you try to launch the application from terminal and copy the message that would appear there? Here is how to do it:

• Open terminal by pressing Cmd+Space and typing “terminal” (without quotes), followed by return key.
  • Copy/Paste the following text into the terminal window (including quotes) and press return:
    “/Applications/eM Client.app/Contents/MacOS/eM Client”

It would help us in resolving this issue.
Thanks, Jiri

Hello Jiri,

thank you for your swift response!

I followed your advice to run the application from terminal:

$ "/Applications/eM Client.app/Contents/MacOS/eM Client" 2018-10-25 12:17:08.921 eM Client[21681:2881841] \*\*\* WARNING: Method convertPointToBase: in class NSView is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. System.Exception: Could not initialize an instance of the type 'Foundation.NSUrl': the native 'initWithString:' method returned nil. It is possible to ignore this condition by setting ObjCRuntime.Class.ThrowOnInitFailure to false. fish: '"/Applications/eM Client.app/Co...' terminated by signal SIGKILL (Forced quit)

Hello Christoffer,
thank you for your effort. We will investigate the issue and fix it as soon as possible. Until than, you may look at the release history to find out if there is a newer version. You may also try to rename the eM Client data folder (so that you can later restore it), then launch eM Client and setup accounts again.
The data folder’s name is “eM Client” and you can reveal it in Finder by typing “open ~/.config” (without quotes) to terminal window, followed by return.
Hope this helps,
Jiri

Hello Jiri,

the update from Oct 31st fixed my issue - even if several crashes occured, the sixth attempt to start the application succeeded eventually.

Two of the error messages I encountered:

2018-11-05 15:08:13.215 eM Client[15902:1367469] NSURLConnection ordering violation: didFinishLoading to be scheduled before did ReceiveResponse System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.

\*\*\* Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '\*\*\* -[\_\_NSPlaceholderDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:count:]: attempt to insert nil object from objects[0]' abort() called terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Hi Christoffer,
thank you for update. I’m glad it works now, but it’s still unfortunate. If the issue appears again, we have a special build for troubleshooting it, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
Regards,
Jiri