eM Client folders size increased in Roaming

In eM Client 7.1.33101 version my
C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\eM Client folder size
was 43 MB.

Now in eM Client 7.2.33988 version this folder is about 150MB for the same number of e-mails.

This is a very big difference. And it keeps increasing every day…

Why? What is the reason?
Is this normal? Shall it be fixed and how?

Go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and make sure that diagnostic logs are not enabled.

Also, check in Menu > Tools > Settings > Advanced, that none of the logs are enabled. You can also clear the logs there and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks Gary,

I checked, diagnostic and Accounts logs are not enabled.
The Logs Folder is already small, no problem.

I’m sending 3 screenshots of my EmClient Roaming folder.

You’ll see the that on the last version the number and size of several files has change.

There are additional new file types now, not existing before…

Today my EmClient Roaming folder is 178 MB… ![](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1764290/RackMultipart20181127-35171-u2tilm-1._eM_Client _Roaming inline.jpg?1543318963 “Image httpsd2r1vs3d9006apcloudfrontnets3_images1764290RackMultipart20181127-35171-u2tilm-1_eM_Client___Roaming__inlinejpg1543318963”)

With the change of version, there were most likely some changes made to the database structure. That has always been there in the past, but I can’t say that I have noticed a significant change in the overall database size as a result. Looking back at my last year of backups, the size increases daily as more data is added, but that is to be expected.

The right-side screenshots are taken with eM Client running. How do the sizes compare when it is not running?

Sometimes when there are some errors, extra files are created. With eM Client closed, you can manually run C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\DbRepair.exe and see if that reduces the overall size.

Running DbRepair.exe reduced the overall size to 29 MB.

And the additional new file types  still exist.

Thank you very much Gary…

Some additional files will always be created with SQLite databases when they are being used. WAL files (write ahead logs) cache the data and append changes to it when the database is open while preserving the original data. If something goes wrong, those files can be used by DbRepair to reconstruct the data. I always understood that they were deleted after the database was closed, but maybe that is not the case. Maybe someone with SQLIte experience can comment on that.

When DbRepair is run, it should delete them if no errors are found, but they will always be recreated as soon as you open the database again. 

These files are not included in the backups made with eM Client’s internal backup.

Thanks again for the information.