eM Client fails to start with message 'that eM Client was not closed correctly last time . . .'

OK will do.

OK, Retarted Windows and the eM Client check for corrupted database and inconsistent data ran automatically!  But again the program didn’t run.  I’e checked in task Manger and there is no instance of eM Client under either Apps or Background processes.

You could use a utility live Revo Uninstaller to completely remove eM Client from your computer, including the after-uninstall scan. Then delete the database directory and reinstall eM Client.

OK, I’ve got a portable version of Revo so I’ll uninstall eMC, run the after uninstall scan, re-install eMC, break for a quick lunch (it’s 13:30 in the UK) and then get back to you.  Thanks.

Gary, I couldn’t wait for lunch!

I ran Revo Uninstaller and the after the after-uninstall scan, deleted numerous files, rebooted the PC, re-installed eM Client and, miracle of all miracles, the program opened.  I then selected yesterday’s zipped backup and unzipped it to desktop folder and in eM Client restored my settings, data etc. from that folder.  To quote the jargon of 1960’s astronauts it was then ‘AOK’.

So, I learnt one very valuable lesson from your input.  Next time I get any trouble (hopefully never) I’ll go straight to Revo Uninstaller and then clean re-install and restore.  I’m at least lucky there as I have twice daily backups of eM Client and I also keep a whole weeks worth of rolling backups on a second drive as well.

Thanks very much for all your help and persistence (and general PC knowledge) I am extremely grateful.  15 out of 10 for effort.

Thanks & regards,
Paul Reeman 

Usually database/starting problems can be resolved just be removing or renaming the database. That is always a useful first step. 

Hopefully you won’t have to do anything like this again.

Have a good lunch. Gary

My em Client always starts, but more often than not, it does a LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG database validation first and never finds any problems. If you think renaming the database will help, how do I do that?

A database check on startup means that eM Client was not closed properly after the previous session. This was more common in earlier 7.1 versions than it is in the latest version available for download at http://www.emclient.com/release-history

Renaming the database practically means deleting it so that when eM Client starts it will create a new blank database. If that is what you want to do, close eM Client, and then rename C:\Users_[username]_\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. You may have to show hidden items in Explorer to do that.