eM Client disconnects periodically from a gmail corporate account

Hi, I’m using eM Client with a gmail corporate account. I’m on a desktop pc running Windows 7. The client periodically disconnects, and takes forever to reconnect, if it reconnectsat all. So when I select an email, for example, I get the message “The message will be downloaded the next time you go online”. But I AM online! And indeed, if I check gmail from a browser, everything works fine. I already enabled the “support for less secure applications” in gmail (as any attempt at connecting was otherways failing). How do I solve this issue now?

Hello,
after you are disconnected, please go to Tools > Operations window and copy the content of the Log tab for me? (also check for any errors in the error tab).
Include information about which release of eM Client you’re running as well, please (Help > About section).

Best regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia,

here’s the relevant part of the Log you’re asking:

3:47:13 PM Avalanche Mail [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 64.233.165.108:993
3:47:13 PM    at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)
3:47:13 PM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9()
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
3:47:13 PM — End of inner exception stack trace —
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
3:47:13 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

The client version I’m using is 6.0.23421.0

Please consider when this happens I can’t receive nor send email; and also all other services (as chat, or calendar updates) stop working.

Thanks!

Hi,
can I ask what anti-virus program are you using? We have been having similar issue with eset lately, can you make sure you have an exception set up in your antivirus and windows firewall for eM Client?

Best regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia,

I’m using “Symantec Endpoint Protection”, v 12.1.671.4971

I’ve added eM Client as exception (across the line), however the problem still persist.

Here’s the latest log:

9:44:54 AM Avalanche Mail [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 108.177.12.108:9939:44:54 AM    at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)
9:44:54 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9()
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
9:44:54 AM — End of inner exception stack trace —
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
9:44:54 AM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Thanks!

Please also try if disabling the antivirus AND windows firewall for a bit fixes the issue.

Hi again Olivia,

my windows firewall was indeed disabled.

I’m puzzled, especially since everything works so well through gmail web interface. 

Hi,
gmail web interface doesn’t need to go through your anti-virus since it’s a web app, not a desktop one.
This kind of error is a typical timeout when the connection is blocked by antivirus.
If you disable your antivirus for a while, does it really not help the issue?

regards,
Olivia

I kept it down the whole day… and had those interruption in my connection anyway…

Hi,
I keep trying to figure out what else could be blocking your connection to the server. Are you using any proxy connection? Could you take a screenshot of the IMAP and SMTP tab in Tools > Accounts for the affected account?

Best regards,
Olivia