EM Client Crash on clicking "Attachment" in new email

eMClient 6.0.22344.0  (Windows 7)

If I create a new email and send it without an attachement it works a-ok.  Once I click the attachment button it instantly crashes.  Sometimes the windows browse dialogue window will open but it still crashes at this point.

I have used the repair facility in the installer as well and doing an uninstall and reinstall of the EMClient software.

The email system works fine up to the point of clicking on the “add attachment” button.

Could you assist me.  Many thanks.

Hello, after the application crashes, can you see an error report window displayed with a “Show error” button"? If so, please click on the “show error” button and copy the content of the error, submit it to us here for more information.

What mail service are you using with eM Client?  Can you try to update to this release and check if the issue persists? 6.0.22504.0

Are you using any security software on your computer? Such as firewall or antivirus with email protection features?

Thank you,

Hi Paul, Many thanks for your reply.  In answer to your questions:

1. Unfortunately the entire EMclient window crashes and the CPU just maxes out at 100% indefinitely.  I end up using ctrl-alt-delete and to kill the program in task manager.  The only popup which appears at any point is the windows 7 “send to microsoft for analysis” option.

2. I’m currently using gmail and btopenworld accounts with the client.  It has to be mentioned that this issue is relatively recent - the client has worked well for a month or so up til last week.

3. I’m currently running Bitdefender Antivirus and the basic inbuilt windows 7 firewall.

4. I notice on a number of threds people are able to post a diagnostic data file - I’d be happy to produce one  of these too if you could tell me how to - I’ve looked through the advanced options and nothing seems obvious to generate this.

5. I’ll try an update on the system to the newer version you’ve linked and report back also.

many thanks,

George.

Hello George, I’m afraid I’m unable to diagnose the issue based on this information, if the application is still running in the background and you’re running a security software on your computer, first try to temporarily disable the security software and check if the issue persists. These applications can occasionally block the application’s ability to connect to the server and create a number of similar issues when the connection is blocked.

If however the issue persists, please run this utility, http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe and run the utility while the application is not responding or is running in the background without being displayed. Save the stack dump file created and submit it to my work mail, [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic for more information.

Thank you,

Thanks Paul, I suspected that without the stackdump you might not have come across this before.  I have tried running it without Bitdefender running and still got the same client lockup and 100% CPU usage.

I’ll produce the stack dump whilst the client is not responding and email it across.  I’ll also update this thread to let you know I’ve done so to keep the progress logged.

regards,

George.

Hi Paul,

I’ve sent you an email with the stack dump on it.  The update you provided has seemingly improved the situation very slightly in that every three or four attempts (after a ctrl-alt-del task kill) the attachment can be added and an email sent.

many thanks,

George.

Hello George, thank you for submitting the stack dump data, I’ve checked the dump, but I’m not completely sure what might be causing this issue, I’m forwarding the data to our developers to see if they could provide more information.

Please try to run this utility as well, http://www.emclient.com/tools/dbrepairrebuildall.exe which essentially rebuilds your database folder and clears it of unused data and corrupt database tables (if there are any), check if the issue persists and let me know.

Thank you,

Hi Paul,

I’ve tried the database repair tool and sadly I’m still getting crashes/hangs.  The windows event viewer logs the crash/hang as:

“The program MailClient.exe version 6.0.22504.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 1368
 Start Time: 01d0b730b96287fa
 Termination Time: 28
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe”

" rel=“nofollow” target="_blank" title=“Link http//schemasmicrosoftcom/win/2004/08/events/event”>http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">;
-

0x80000000000000

Application
John-PC

-
MailClient.exe
01d0b730b96287fa
C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe

55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

kind regards,

George

Hi Paul,

I’ve just sent over a new stack dump file just in case it has any different information following the database repair tool being run.

regards,

George.

Hi Paul,

Additional crash dmp files send via email for you.

Many thanks,

George.

Hello George, thank you for the received data, I’ve submitted the dump file to the developers for more information, I’m sorry for the inconvenience, we’ll be looking into the problem and I’ll check back with you with some more insight.

Thank you for reporting this,

Thanks Paul,

Will await the technical feedback from the dev team :slight_smile:

regards.

George.

Hi Paul,

Sadly having to uninstall this client now as getting multiple crashes and what appear to be memory leaks.  Please do update this thread if your Dev Team find out anything as I’m relucantly moving to another client in the interim as I need access to my emails.

kind regards,

George.

Hi Paul,

Its been a few weeks - I was just wondering if the Dev Team had any feedback on the crashdumps I submitted?

kind regards,

George.

Hello George, unfortunately it seems like the application is being blocked by your Bitdefender software, there’s are a couple of options that might be causing this issue, either bit defender is prompting for access, in which case you should be able to resolve the problem by selecting that eM Client is a safe application, or you should be able to resolve the problem by setting up an exception for eM Client or by disabling this software on your computer.

Hope this helps,

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update - I’ll see if that will fix it - seems strange that even with Bitdefender turned off that it still presents an issue but good to know that there is now a known conflict with Bitdefender - I’ve had to uninstall Bitdefender off another machine after it refused to play ball with another piece of software last week so it wouldn’t be the first time it has caused an issue.

Even more strangely I have two licences for EM Client with another client of mine and they have Bitdefender on their systems too and no issues at all.  I think I’ll just find a new AV for clients in future and use that as a workaround for those who wish to use EM Client.

Many thanks,

George.

I can recommend Avast or AVG as a good security software, however it’s always a bit tricky with this kind of software, it’s important to keep a track of the blocked ports and the ones used by eM Client (or other application), unfortunately whenever a security software blocks the connection, we’re unable to workaround the problem.

Make sure to let us know if we can be any further help regarding this or any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Regards,