eM Client 7 BETA launch

Hey,

The link does not always contain the newest beta, as we are hotfixing and adding features on a daily basis, the update solving the DPI issues will be available soon, but it is still undergoing preliminary internal testing. However as soon as the new batch of fixes is ready it will be updated in the blog post. We appreciate your patience.

-Dave

I’ll disagree that it’s currently adequate. When you are adding folders as often as I do, it is a huge inconvenience to have to redo the column configuration for every folder created or to apply the column configuration to your new folder. This is especially true when you create the new folders from outside of eM Client. When you then go back to eM Client, you have to remember all the new folders created since the last time you used it and then apply the column configurations to the new folders.

It should not be too difficult to create a setting to remember a set of the column configuration as the default column configuration for new folders.

• Merg

Because there are obviously quite a few people running the v7 beta, maybe it would be a good idea to identify in some manor what the current release is in the blog. Otherwise, there really isn’t a way to tell, is there?

I gotta agree with Michael.

Hey,

When we add the newest beta version in the blog post, we will add a version number as well.

-Dave

Thanks. (Everything should be so easy. :>)  )

Guess it boils down to whether v7 introduced any column/folder management changes compared to v6. If yes then then your concerns should be addressed as part of this release. If no you are seeking an enhancement that, unless stated otherwise, was not part of this development cycle. To accommodate this request would open the door to the dozens of other unsatisfied requests that have been posted over several years. 

Don’t get me wrong - I agree the change would be beneficial but not sure it belongs in this release.

While it is true that v7 has much better performance than v6, it also seems to me that in changing to Chrome it has also inherited some of the problems of Gmail. Gmail is not a perfect program, which is one reason why I have never used it except through eM. So at some point I would think that eM should be thinking of the deficiencies in Gmail and try to do something to correct them.

All in all, though, I much prefer v7 to v6.

Now all my mails are triplicated.  3 mails for every mail received and sent.    It’s absolutely annoying.
Anyone having the same problem?

I had the same problem. Only occurs when the option to download the message body is selected. EM is aware of this as I have reported it and they have confirmed it should be fixed in the next beta. In the mean time, do not download message body and all is well (except no offline and search capabilities).

Thanks a lot Maria-Jay.

I had eM client version 6 installed, I then downloaded the beta 7 version installed with ease import data from version 6 went flawlessly… Great work I really like this version, I also like that you can customize the toolbars… thanks again keep up the good work 

I unchecked the option “download message body”, but the problem persists.   Do we have to delete and re-add all the accounts? (by doing this will we lose preferences like signatures and templates?)      I think we would prefer to have an updated Beta that solves this problem.

Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that…, you do have to delete and recreate the account. Signatures will not go away, but you have to re-attach it to the recreated account. Templates should act the same way. No other settings were affected that I can recall.

As a follow-up, recreating an account is very quick if you’re not downloading the body and attachments. Should only take a few minutes.

I agree, v7 is a lot better than v6 - as long as you do not have to work with ‘traditional’ IMAP accounts - and - Gmail accounts. v7 forces you to subscribe to Gmail’s ‘All Messages’ folder and to subordinate yourself to Google’s label system. Which might be fine - if you’re living solely in a googlelized ecosystem.

From a corporate point of view in an ecosystem where you have to deal with multiple accounts v7’s new aproach is just a nuisance disturbing corporate procedures. That’s especially true in a country where Gmail’s got a negligible market share of about 4% (and that’s mostly private).

Same here, using EM with a single GMail account, one Exchange and about 7 other accounts using different providers with IMAP protocol.

I use GMail just for the sake of Google Play store notifications and get about one or two e-mails a *week*. I could also drop this Gmail crap without ever noticing.

I’m watching these forums for a lone time now and I guess I can say that the developers spend too much time with the implementation of the Google API and keep it alive. This applies to Hotmail/Outlook of course, too.

I’ve seen days or even weeks where lot’s of issues where posted because Google changed their authentication process or dropped this or that feature and EM had to deal with. I’ve never had any issues with my IMAP providers so far.

That said, the “real” development of EM stalled months before because all of the development ressources go into an area where we non-Gmail/Outlook users won’t see any bargain.

I guess some guys here already know about my list of enhancements that should be implemented into EM to give EM a push forward. Those enhancements certainly do not include this buggy label thing or a two-factor authentication or Gmails dedicated archive feature.

Some of my wishes and claims are already several months old so are similar wishes from other long-time EM users. Nothing happened and probably will happen in the near future it seems…

For us Gmail is just a backup in case our server fails and the watchdog has to send a message. That’s what it’s good for and that’s it.

I am in the opposite camp relying heavily on Gmails native capabilities to organize dozens of daily emails so I can focus on the work that needs to be done vs. managing my inbox. Yet the conclusion is identical: the EM Client development team does not have a good grip on user needs and are attempting to implement enhanced functionality in a framework that is not well suited to the task. Not to mention the glacial pace of change. I have since moved on not willing to adapt (yet again) to a mail client that attempts to set its own rules that satisfies no one.

@Mike: Implementing Google’s OAuth makes two-factor authentication a piece of cake. A good step in the right direction. More than once I’ve been sitting in front of Google’s settings chaos and asked myself, where the hack did they hide those application passwords today - that’s history and one point of failure / maintenance less. I appreciate that.