Does the database labeled eM Client folder contain the passwords for the email accounts?

I have a PC name A, WIN10, with EMC Pro installed, which contains 3 Outlook accounts + 3 Gmail accounts, all of which have been entered with their respective passwords for the email accounts, and all of which can send and receive emails normally.

My other PC Name B, WIN10, has EMC Pro installed for the first time, but no email accounts have been added.
Then I copied the folder labeled eM Client from PC A to the corresponding location on PC B and replaced it with the folder of the same name.

Then, I opened EMC in PC B (same below, not to be repeated) and EMC system popped up Chrome page in Outlook website, asking me to enter respective passwords for each of the 3 Outlook accounts.
EMC also popped up Chrome page in Gmail site at that time, but I clicked cancel.
Later, when I opened EMC again, surprisingly, EMC system did not ask me to enter the passwords of my 3 Gmail accounts again, but all my 3 gmail accounts could sync and receive emails normally.

So, from the situation of the 3 Outlook accounts, it is inferred that the database copied from A PC does not contain the password of the email account; but from the situation of the 3 Gmail accounts, it is inferred that the database definitely contains the password of the email account.

So, I am totally confused. What is going on here?
Thanks!

martes 24 mayo 2022 :: 1632hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @Steam2021

I do not really understand what you have done, however, if you wanted to replicate the accounts on computer A with computer B, this is what you could have done and still could do.

1./ Make a Backup of eMC on computer A by going: Menu ->Backup
2./ Make sure you have a note of the Licence number for computer B
3./ Completely delete eMC from computer B
4./ Reinstall eMC on computer B but do not proceed to set up accounts, then…
5./ Copy the Backup from computer A to say the Desktop on computer B
6./ On computer B go to: Menu ->File ->Restore and point the action to the Backup from Computer A
7./ Once the Restore has run you will have all your accounts from Computer A on computer B

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

I understand that the passwords are stored in the database, since version 7.1 passwords are encrypted. This explains why the Google accounts didn’t require the password to be re-entered. Maybe Outlook protocol detected that you were on a different machine and wanted your passwords confirmed?

1 Like

My purpose is to move all my email accounts and all my locally stored emails (which are no longer kept on the server) from one old PC to a new one.
Thank you for the detailed instruction on a very formal way of “moving between 2 PCs”.
I’ll try it next time I get a chance.
I would also like to know if the system will ask me to re-enter the passwords for each email account on PC B in the way you have described.
Thanks!

Under point 3, for the Pro version, I think you should deactivate em Client licence before uninstalling it

1 Like

miércoles 25 mayo 2022 :: 0818hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @Steam2021

Yes, by transferring the Backup you will have the same file structure on both computers including all
local email/folders in the same structure.
The passwords will still work.
As @John_A suggests it is a good idea to deactivate the licence and re-enter; sorry I missed that.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

2 Likes